Fluke 15b+ Capacitance Measuring Problem

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Fluke 15b+ Capacitance Measuring Problem

Post by RockinRocket »

I just got a Fluke 15b+ as it claims it reads capacitance down to .01nf (10pf) That's why I bought it to have a meter that will do everything. Well it doesn't measure any where near accurate in the lower capacitances. 330pf 5% cap reads like .67nf Twice the capacitance. a 4700pf 5% measures 5600pf.

Specs of the Fluke 15b+ capacitance - .01nf 2% + 5
What dos the + 5 mean here?

This is the meter.
https://www.fluke.com/en-in/product/ele ... e-15b-plus#

Any help would be greatly appreiated

Edit -nf not uf
Last edited by RockinRocket on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Re: Fluke 15b+ Capacitance Measuring Problem

Post by martin manning »

RockinRocket wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:38 pm I just got a Fluke 15b+ as it claims it reads capacitance down to .01uf (10pf)
0.01uF is 10,000 pF.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Get one of these cheap digital things. It's quite accurate at measuring picofarads:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MK-168-Transis ... 1167807560
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

That's about all you can hope for, especially when measuring small pf caps. From the spec sheet in your link...

"Specifications do not include errors due to test lead capacitance and capacitance floor (may be up to 1.5 nF in the 40 nF range)."

"Accuracy specifications take the form of: ±(% of Reading + Number of Least Significant Digits)."
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

When your testing small value caps the lead lenght needs to be no more then 4" long.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

sluckey wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:10 pm That's about all you can hope for, especially when measuring small pf caps. From the spec sheet in your link...

"Specifications do not include errors due to test lead capacitance and capacitance floor (may be up to 1.5 nF in the 40 nF range)."

"Accuracy specifications take the form of: ±(% of Reading + Number of Least Significant Digits)."
Thanks for the help fellas,

Sluckey, I didn't see those specs you quoted when I purchased, all I saw was this thinking 2% accuracy :lol:

Range - 40.00 nF

Resolution - 0.01 nF

Accuracy - 2% + 5
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Don't get 4" leads. Just look at the reading before you connect the cap and subtract this from your final reading to account for the lead capacitance.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

A Double Binding Post To Double Banana Plug Adapter is useful when you want to measure components without the meter lead factor...

https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/produ ... old-plated

There is also a "RELative" button on most Flukes (sorry, not your 15B+) that comes in handy to null lead resistance or capacitance. But nothing is gonna make your meter read small caps accurately. My 87V reads down to about 500pf without problems, but 360pF reads about 340pF and 240pf reads about 180pf and 100pf becomes iffy. It may not even register.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I do like this. A couple of banana plugs and a couple of repurposed paper clips is nice for eliminating lead effects and speeding up the process of checking component values before use or sorting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.