300 watt output transformers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

demonstratedspatulas

300 watt output transformers

Post by demonstratedspatulas »

Has anyone made a bass amp recently? I wish I could source a 300 watt output transformer for 6x KT88s in push-pull.

I don't know if I have the skill to build one also, but it's definitely been on my list.

The only one I've ever even seen is the Hammond 1650W, and it was out of stock.

Anyone ever seen one of these for sale or purchased one?
thetragichero

Re: 300 watt output transformers

Post by thetragichero »

where are you playing that you need that much power?
but i see several svt output transformers available. like $300-600 depending on how picky you are
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/455515
Website says there are 2 in stock - can ship immediately, $330.26.

https://www.newark.com/hammond/1650w/tr ... dp/66F8013
They show 20 in stock, $336.87.

https://www.hawkusa.com/manufacturers/h ... mers/1650w
This place says they have 15 in stock $288.40. This was a random Google search. I don't know the seller.

On winding one on your own, I believe after you see what is required, you won't want to do it. Skill level doesn't seem that onerous. It is the equipment that you need to get it right.
bal704

Post by bal704 »

I built a 200w version a while back. The OT alone weighed 20 lbs. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

As an aside, I'm primarily a gigging bass player. The watts/lb ratio for bass amps is much better with the modern SS amps. They sound great, and weigh a few pounds. The one I built was a chiropractors dream, and it wasn't really that loud compared to the ones I could put in my gig bag pocket. I built a hybrid tube pre/SS power amp after that and it sounded great and weighed way less. And it was still physically much larger than the ones I could put in my gig bag pocket.

I'm sticking to building guitar amps now....
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

as a former a-hole guitarist that "needed" one or more tube half stacks to "get my sound" i was initially averse to playing bass via di to front of house at church. lemme tell you, especially after getting a decent preamp di, life is so much nicer when i get to show up with little more than my bass case
now for louder styles I'm a huge fan of OLD solid state through guitar cabs so i guess you can't always teach an old dog new tricks lol
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
demonstratedspatulas

Post by demonstratedspatulas »

thetragichero wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:54 am where are you playing that you need that much power?
but i see several svt output transformers available. like $300-600 depending on how picky you are
It would likely be for my friend, he plays in a metal band and he digs the blue line svt, mesa 400, and fender super bassman.

I don't question it, I just supply the wattage :D (or try to anyway)
bb5000

Post by bb5000 »

There are a few options :

From Italy, InMadOut : http://www.inmadout.com/T-output.asp
From Tube-Town, Germany: https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-dr ... ormer.html

A few years ago when I built my Hiwatt DR201 clone, I contacted Heyboer and they could offer a Hiwatt replacement transformer kit. I ended up with transformers from TubeAmpDoctor in Germany and have not regretted that.
<b>LF Audioservice</b>
Built:
Weber AB200
Weber 6S100
Hiwatt DR201
Fender 6G3 Deluxe
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I still have 6 2-15" loaded bass cabinets that I used at a big out door concert back in 82 when both guitar players in the band where playing thru 2 full 100 watt Marshall stacks each!

I only had 200 watts of RMS power at the time and I could have likely got away with only 4 2-15" loaded cabinets, so 300 watts is not needed but many good high SPl rated speakers are like the Altec Lansing 421 model Drivers I have in my 6. 2-15" cabinets I am talking about here.

Keep in mind how the Human ear works, if you had a 100 RMS that was not cutting it and you figured you needed to double your volume you would need to step up to a 1000 watt RMS to do that just by means of wattage, where as a simple change from bass driver rated at 96 db to 100 db would provide double the volume.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I am (slowly) working on a bass amp for a friend. It will four KT88 running in UL. The transformers were custom wound by Heyboer and are enormous (!). The choke alone is as big as a 50W Plexi OT. The OT is a clone of a Dynaco A451.
Kagliostro

Post by Kagliostro »

BTW

One option will be also to use two (in this case 150W) output transformers

like in the late '60 JTM45-100 Marshall amp

Connections may be arranged also in different way

Not that is a preferable way, but it is feasible

K
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I got my chassis and ordered 300w SVT transformers made by Heyboer and have not started yet.
Too many in front this project right now. It will power six 6550 tubes for bass guitar.

Mark
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

demonstratedspatulas wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:33 am I don't know if I have the skill to build one also, but it's definitely been on my list.
Show us some pics of your builds. We might be able to tell you if you have the skills.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If you have the build itch to scratch I would start off with something far smaller and just find yourself a used Sunn 300T that needs some work other then Transformers.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!