Input transformer?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

demonstratedspatulas

Input transformer?

Post by demonstratedspatulas »

This might be a very stupid question, but I've been looking over schematics of studio gear just for fun, and I'll see something like a 600 to 60k ohm transformer on the input, going into a small grid stopper, into the grid of the first triode.

Certainly pro studio gear is different from a guitar amp, but I was just curious, maybe some guitar amps have transformers on the input, and maybe they give a certain sound? I have no idea, but thought it would be fun to ask if anyone has tried anything like this or seen anything like it.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Input transformer?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

My understanding is that a guitar has a pretty well matched impedance for the first triode. The transformers are for things like microphones or other devices that have a very different impedance to help match them. Kind of the whole

line/instrument level thing,

A DI box is just a transformer that converts a guitar signal to an impedance that a device expecting a line level can handle too...

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
demonstratedspatulas

Post by demonstratedspatulas »

Definitely agree that a guitar has a good impedance for the input stage :mrgreen:

I was thinking maybe if the input transformer was small it would saturate easily and provide some sort of musical nonlinear distortion, but just spitballing really :)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've never heard of a transformer 'saturating' or 'distorting' It either can or can't handle the current being passed through it or it will melt down/fail basically.

But I'm not a master of transformer science :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

"Transformer saturation" is one of the big studio gear buzzwords. lol. Seems like every studio rat I worked with made a big deal about if a mic preamp was transformer input or not - Im sure this does make a big difference if you use cheap ones but not sure how much marketing speak is at play here either. YMMV.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
roberto

Post by roberto »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 amI've never heard of a transformer 'saturating' or 'distorting' It either can or can't handle the current being passed through it or it will melt down/fail basically.
it is not the copper saturating, but the iron. In any case an input transformer directly connected to the pickups cannot saturate.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

roberto wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 amI've never heard of a transformer 'saturating' or 'distorting' It either can or can't handle the current being passed through it or it will melt down/fail basically.
it is not the copper saturating, but the iron. In any case an input transformer directly connected to the pickups cannot saturate.
oh yeah core saturation, ok I do know a very small bit about that :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
roberto

Post by roberto »

This is a very good book to be introduced to the argument:
http://www.dissident-audio.com/Transfos ... Manual.pdf
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

roberto wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:57 pm This is a very good book to be introduced to the argument:
http://www.dissident-audio.com/Transfos ... Manual.pdf

Interesting how you refer to it as an "argument" rather than a "discussion!" I'm assuming that is a VERY telling choice of words! :mrgreen:

Just Sayin'
Gene
roberto

Post by roberto »

:mrgreen: can I say that my native language is strongly latin influenced (latin as old romans, not south america), so “argument” is a first choice. But that’s a must read on the arg... ehm... :mrgreen:
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ar·​gu·​ment | \ ˈär-gyə-mənt \
1a: the act or process of arguing, reasoning, or discussing
b: a coherent series of reasons, statements, or facts intended to support or establish a point of view
c: an angry quarrel or disagreement
roberto

Post by roberto »

B would B my choice, as "argumentum" etymology comes from latin "arguĕre", that means "to demonstrate".
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

You make a convincing argument Counselor. :)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sluckey wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:23 am You make a convincing argument Counselor. :)
I OBJECT!

to what I've no clue :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!