Wire wound power resistor wattage?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dingleberry

Wire wound power resistor wattage?

Post by Dingleberry »

Hi.
I have few of these vintage wire wound resistors, but there is no info about the wattage rating stamped on them. Is there any other way to determine the possible wattage than just the size. These measure 5 cm / (about 2 inhces) in length. They could probably be somewhere in the 5-10W region?
These measure 100ohms. I was thinking using them instead a choke in a power supply for a se EL84 amp. Current trough resistor will be about 50mA and voltage drop then about 5V. So in theory even 5W should be plenty, but going higher wattage will of course never hurt. Should I just try and see what happens and check the temperature of the resistor during power up? Has anyone seen these resistors before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simplify before you amplify
Stevem

Re: Wire wound power resistor wattage?

Post by Stevem »

They look like atleast 10 watts to me .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

Is there any info? Part #? Numerical stamp? Any identifying mark?
jcool666

Post by jcool666 »

I've seen resistors like that used in ham radios before. They're usually in the 10 - 20 watt range. You may want to ask around on a ham radio forum for more info. That metal tab in the middle is an adjustable tap I believe. If that is in fact the case, these would make a neat adjustable cathode bias resistor.
"Dime the controls, tune to drop D and flog the strings like they were naughty,"