Antek Toroid PT questions

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

darryl_h

Re: Antek Toroid PT questions

Post by darryl_h »

mirage_indigo wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:25 pm Also if you flip the toroid upside down I'd be worried about the Coriolis effect. But good to hear they mostly still work in Oz.
We always specify left-handed toroids. :wink:
drew

Re: Antek Toroid PT questions

Post by drew »

R.G. wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:59 pm Some additional information and cautions on toroids:

They usually mount as the pictures show, with a bolt through the middle. If that bolt is conductive, it amounts to a one-turn secondary. If the bolt is attached firmly to the chassis, and you accidentally short the top end of the bolt to the chassis, you have accidentally created a very high current short circuited secondary. This is how welder transformers are created. There will be a lot of heat - melting-things heat! - blowing fuses, all he issues you would expect from short circuiting a power transformer secondary. It's easy to do this accidentally - go ahead, ask me how I know... :oops:
Thanks for the warning. I had no idea. I don't remember Antek including any kind of warning about this with the transformer I bought from them.