Fender Blues Jr vs. Pro Jr??

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zozoe

Fender Blues Jr vs. Pro Jr??

Post by zozoe »

So, this PJ,,, & can it scream like a BJ, or is it an different animal, as described in another post? The 10" doesn't struggle on the low end? I'd be using it for lower volume recording, but with the gain of a BJ i used to own? & are US made models of either amp better than the Mexican made ones?
Many thanks.

UPDATE: After hearing some good side by sides on YT, it seems like the Pro is much more organic, also has a nice bit of clean headroom,,, Even though i like the lower level OD allowed by the BJ, it sounds iike there's a nicer vintage mojo to the PRO,,,!!?? Anyone's thoughtz or affirmations? Lastly, are the more recent 'IV' models of either amp significantly better than the oldies?
Thanks all & stay well!!
Last edited by zozoe on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sluckey

Re: Fender Blues Jr vs. Pro Jr??

Post by sluckey »

I wish I had one of each.
zozoe

Post by zozoe »

Thanks folks, ,, I like angry, dirty, & the 10" deal,,, But hypothetically, if I saw a PJ custom done in a 12" cab, it would most likely dramatically change the attitude & voicing, for better or worse,, or is the Mojo in the 10"?? There's aTone Dog Pro-Senior in an oversized 12" pine cab, & wire rerouting for less noise, upgraded power filter caps, shielding,,,, Anyone ever heard of them? www.Tonedog com

Kenny
Needs Coffee

Post by Needs Coffee »

It's been a long while since I played through either one but, as far as affirmations go, your assessment is about as I remember it. The BJ is a good workhorse amp and it's very popular here in NYC because it's small, easily toted on the subway and (just) loud enough for small club dates. To me, the PJ sounds much more like a classic Fender tube amp - the clean headroom you mentioned being the key here. A PJ would have a hard time keeping up with any but the quietest drummer but I prefer the way it sounds to the BJ. My complaint with both the BJ and the bigger Blues Deluxe is that neither really ever gets truly clean and what's the point of buying a Fender if you can't get the Fender clean sound? On the flip side of that, the PJ will get fairly feisty, but it's not going to scream; it's not a high gain amp.

I've never heard a PJ through a 12" speaker but I imagine it would sound pretty nice. All depends on the speaker, though, and that's hugely subjective. Everybody likes what they like, y'know?

As far as I know, the quality of the Mexican Fender amps is the same as that of the US made amps.

Hope this helps....
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Same amp,... different pre, blues jr has a SS verb and an extra gain stage with master. I like the pro jr for its simplicity, easy mod. Blues jr has the extra tube for high gain mod.
You only get a pair of 6BQ5, fine for most things mic'd up, perfect for small venue. You can push them into clip easily, not the same big clean as a larger wattage rig.
lazymaryamps