Post by ChopSauce »

Yet another creative build... 8)
(& another vote for the knobs)

Thanks for sharing.
dorrisant

Re: Jim Kelly Build

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks for the kind words!

Funny... I have a local guy here that is kind of a troll on my FB account. He always bitches about the use of old parts and donor chassis/combo cabs. Anytime I post something like this on FB. I hear about his comments. I don't follow him so I don't see most if it. He won't comment directly on my posts either.. I don't get it though... he uses vintage iron (most of which I'd pass on), way old caps and components that I would say no to. It is a good feeling when I see your comments, and trust me, the TAG community's opinion supercedes anything else in this regard. I kinda wish he would have picked on Henry from a while back... lol!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Getting attention from the trolls is something of a reward... :mrgreen:
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Very cool build 8) The faceplates are exceptional as is the build quality. I like your use of speed knobs as well. I've never seen them with set screws before.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

What did you use to isolate the PT cover from the chassis?
Steve
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

Was there anything about the tone of this amp that stood out to you? Do the ground to preamp tube grid diodes add compression?
I've browsed over this a few times wondering if it was worth a build.
Sorry if you commented on this previously and I missed it...
Here's an alternative schemo:
JimKelly PS.jpg
Jim Kelly.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks again!

It is definitely a cool sounding amp... simple tone controls render lots of goods. I would suggest trying it. It is very balanced and versatile.

I used a plastic spacer... painted the color of the chassis. I believe it was a clear spacer from a pack of blank CDs. It looks like an accent stripe under the black can. (I will use anything feasible = MacGyver). ;)

I'm sure the diode do make it compress a bit... but not as bad as some of the Marshall circuits. It seems to fit the preamp. I haven't tried it with them lifted, so I have no reference for how much compression.

The knobs came from a FB contact:

https://m.facebook.com/JATCUSTOMGUITARPARTS/

Edit: JAT is also on Reverb now...

https://reverb.com/shop/justins-gear-de ... tent=74419

I had him make these custom with the set screws (apparently this is a regular thing now), though personally, I don't think I'd go that route again. I would definitely use his knobs again (loads of color combinations), very prompt service and fast on the replies, great guy to deal with. These are high quality, I just didn't like the way the set screw is so visible. I asked for them that way... I'm probably the most critical.

I will try to get some clips posted before it is gone.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Beautiful build Tony, very creative.

A
johno9

Post by johno9 »

All around stunning build!