Stripping wire in very tight quarters

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Stripping wire in very tight quarters

Post by angelodp »

I have tried many different techniques for stripping wires in amplifiers. Its the tight quarters at times that give grief. I tend to go to a brand new single edge razor and do the circumference. Anyone know of a particularly consistent method in very tight spots.
thetragichero

Re: Stripping wire in very tight quarters

Post by thetragichero »

only way I find to avoid that is to measure, cut, and strip before it's in the chassis. otherwise razor is how i do it
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Murrayatuptown

Post by Murrayatuptown »

https://www.amazon.com/Jonard-Adjustabl ... B007A1Y986

This is the AWG 20-30 (0.25-0.80 mm version)...closest to what I had. Says it works with most insulation types so probably works fine with softer ones like PVC, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Jonard-Adjustabl ... CLVN4?th=1

This style tool is very useful in some situations. Has some cool features like a length gauge. Obviously, there will be situations where you cannot use this type, but I have to think what one might be. Actually, If I didn't want to use the length feature, I'd slide it out of the way, and push the wire out the side, after the stripping blades. If you want consistency in tight quarters, this really is an awesome tool. On mine, you have to try it and make adjustments before you believe the scale. Only down side is the 'slugs' (pulled-off insulation bits) sometimes stay inside the

I have a German one somewhere with 25-80 markings and just count how many clicks from the smallest (30 AWG) so I don't have to figure it out. I think it covers AWG 30-28-26-24-22). I couldn't remember the name (or find it), but found a Jonard-labeled one on Amazon, available in wire gauge different ranges.

I mostly used it on PTFE wire inside chasses, or anywhere there wasn't enough length to use an Ideal-style squeeze-handle.

For PVC I usually use a common V-blade hand tool and go by feel.

Thought of a place this kind of stripper doesn't work. Stripping a section at somewhere other than the end (mid-section somewhere). Most sane people will never need to do that at home. Sometimes encountered in industrial test panels...additional wire splices may be incorporated from more convenient points than the very end. Very limited application but sometimes only practical solution.

The Jonard is cheaper than the forgotten-name German one. Jonard evolved out of OK Tool, if anyone remembers wirewrap with AWG 30 solid wire.
Murray
Murrayatuptown

Post by Murrayatuptown »

apparently the 25-80 scale was 0.25-0.80 mm, 30-20 AWG. I never used 20 so I just assumed mine topped out at 22.
Murray
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

See if you can make a longitudinal slit in the insulation, separate the wire from the insulation, and trim the insulation with a scissor. Otherwise, there is, IMO, risk in nicking the copper, which is a no-no.

You might try the wire stripper with smooth jaw forceps to hold the wire, but that will depend on how much wiggle room you actually, have. The technique involves butting the tools together so that you an lean the stripper against the pliers to get the stripper to do its work. I hope that's clear.

Sometimes, though it seems wasteful, it is better to just remove the wire and start over.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Thanks, Phil. I ended up using a stripper with a very narrow jaw that allows me to reach in and snip the jacket, then pull it off with my fingers. Trick is not to nick for sure.

Best A
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Razor blade, sometimes a pointy x-acto knife blade. Then there's the old radio tech method, melt a little insulation with tip of your soldering iron, pull off the insulation "stub" with small needle nose or even a small diagonal wire cutter aka "dikes." Of course the melt technique won't work on teflon insulation and ;) isn't much good on cloth. Happy soldering!
down technical blind alleys . . .
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

Best tool on the world. Catty Man parabolic cat claw trimmers. Work esp well on teflon wire. They look like small stubby nail scissors with a parabolic blade.
Heavens, an unused PI input !
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Place your strippers on the wire where you want to strip it at,,, don't cut through, just bite in. With some fine needle-nose pliers, grab the wire right up next to the strippers on the side that is not to be stripped. Let the strippers cut all the way through the insulation and hold that while you lever the pliers away from the strippers, pivoting at the tip. The two tools should start out almost tip to tip, with handles inline with each other. Once the insulation is cut all the way around it will slide off easily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo