Digital oscilloscope?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davebolden44

Digital oscilloscope?

Post by davebolden44 »

Considering an inexpensive digital oscilloscope from amazon. All I do is general troubleshooting as a hobbyist. Interested in hearing experience/opinions and recommendations of quality and brands. Any and all input is appreciated.
dorrisant

Re: Digital oscilloscope?

Post by dorrisant »

1st, what's your budget?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I have been admiring the ones in the 250-350 range. I would probably set the ceiling around the 350 range.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

This one would fit the bill...

https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DS1054Z-Di ... 1831&psc=1

Although, I'd also get a set of high voltage probes to go with it. I'm not suggesting that you jump in and probe the HT rail or anything like that, it is rather dangerous. If you were to accidentally touch something HT while probing signals then you will still be able to use your probe. Also, when you feel comfortable, the HT can be probed too.

I don't mean to sound demeaning. I just feel I should be clear about danger.

There are a lot of other options out there under your budget as well. The Siglent SDS1052DL at the bottom of that page doesn't look bad, or even the Tablet style would probably do the trick. Your never gonna need anything above the 50mHz limit, so no need to go to 100mHz. Two channels are fine as a minimum requirement. Four channels would be handy sometimes but is certainly not a necessary. I have found that some 4 ch scopes aren't what you'd really want on vh 3 and 4 anyway. I've always got it done with 2 ch anyway.

I also have one of those Seeed Studios pocket scopes. It works rather well for what you pay. The auto-ranging is slow but it will get there. Nice to take on a service call, but get very familiar with it before you depend on it. I know you are probably aren't going for one of these, just wanted to testify.

https://www.seeedstudio.com/DSO-Nano-v3.html

Hantek seems to be hit and miss. Some say they are OK, others feel they are crap.

I use an old analog Tectronix... I like it enough that I'll just keep it. :)
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I have both an old b+k and a hitachi. They are ok but they are getting finicky and I dont have time to repair test equipment. I just want something cheap, simple and reliable. I figure I would question the folks here to see of there is anything to avoid like the plague. I was looking closely at both your recommendations and I ended up ordering the siglent one. Im sure for my simple tracing needs it will be fine. I already have some 600v x10 probes but I will probably order some 1000v ones if what I am doing ever calls for it.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

The Siglent SDS1052DL at the bottom of that page doesn't look bad
I picked one up a couple of years ago. I am not a O-scope power user, it sits on the shelf most of the time, but 2 channels is sufficient for my needs. I see they have since upgraded the display resolution and it is still about the same price I paid. Nice scope for a little scratch. I also bought an additional set of higher voltage probes.

Some of my friends at work bought the Rigol 4-CH unit and like it as well. I would describe them as "power users".
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I received the thing today. Messing with it right now and it seems pefectly sufficient for my needs. I like the simple operation and the physical size is a huge plus compared to the antique t.v. I had before.
CraigGa

Post by CraigGa »

I use a Picoscope USB scope and it works well.
Vertical resolution doesn't seem great but you easily see when it's not a sine wave anymore.
Also the software makes it a very powerful tool for the money.

Craig
Thinking about my second build.
imjonwain

Post by imjonwain »

What did you end up going with? The pico?

For something PC based the Digilent Analog Discovery 2 is really great, it does a lot more than just a scope too. I find myself using this with my PC more than dragging out my individual pieces of test gear.

Rigol ds1054z is also great, especially for the price.
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I ended up with the siglent one mentioned above. Havnt had a chance to put it to use yet though.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I can vouch for a Picoscope, very good product. Can't remember the exact model of mine but it was from the 2000 series. I'm actually on my second one as I fried the first by accidently touching a HT rail with the probe. The Picoscope people were very nice though and sold me a second unit at a discounted price even though it was my fault.

The software is great. The spectrum analyser is particularly useful.