How to calculate ohm's for DC elevated heaters

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

deuce42

How to calculate ohm's for DC elevated heaters

Post by deuce42 »

Hi guys

I'd like to add DC elevated heaters to an AB763 circuit.

I've hand drawn a tiny circuit attached. I am just a bit unsure how to calculate the "a" resistor and the "b" resistor values.

The power supply node I was going to take it from has about 425vdc on it and I wanted to make the elevated heaters about 70vdc.

Could anyway explain how to work out the values of these two resistors?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neskor

Re: How to calculate ohm's for DC elevated heaters

Post by neskor »

Just use voltage divider calculator:
https://ohmslawcalculator.com/voltage-d ... calculator

More info regarding heater elevation:
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html
"Heater Elevation
Elevation means referencing the heater supply to a DC voltage other than ground or zero volts. The heaters still operate at 6.3V or whatever, but this floats on top of the elevation voltage. Some valve stages such as cathode followers require the heater supply to be elevated to avoid exceeding the valve's Vhk(max) rating. But even when not explicitly needed, elevation can reduce hum in AC-heated circuits by reducing or saturating the leakage current between heater and cathode.*

The DC voltage is applied to a transformer centre tap, artificial centre tap, humdinger, or whatever reference connection the heater supply would normally have.

The elevation voltage can be taken from a potential divider across the HT (it doesn't matter where you position the divider), and an elevation voltage around 30 to 60V is typical. The divider should have a fairly high resistance so as not to waste current, although the lower arm (R2) should not be excessively large or Rhk(max) may be grossly exceeded, so it is advisable not to make it greater than 100k. The elevation voltage should be decoupled/smoothed with an arbitrarily large capacitor (C1), say 10uF or more.

Another convenient source of elevation voltage is the cathode of a cathode-biased power valve. No current flows ‘into’ the heater supply from here, so the power valve bias is not affected"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deuce42

Re: How to calculate ohm's for DC elevated heaters

Post by deuce42 »

Ah this calculator is perfect! Thanks:)