New "Designer" caps discussion.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

New "Designer" caps discussion.

Post by dragonbat13 »

I have been into just stocking the parts bins these days. Everytime I place an order with a vendor I throw in a few parts to stock up on. But now I want to get a few on their own order.

I'm not really keen on using NOS stuff. At least not capacitors or tubes.

Now I understand that alot of stuff is all marketing, but do any capacitors actually merit considering at all? I read a recent review about Sozo stuff that seemed to indicate that they would be worth considering.

I do like F&T ele. Caps simply because I have had such good success with them. And the eye candy looks is a plus. After all, guy shots are cool aren't they? But I'm not spending rediculious amounts of money just for looks.

One thing I have noticed is older tube amps, especially organ ptp amps have thicker leads on the components. Seems as though that aspect has gone the way of the do do bird.

Anybody have any input on all of this?
thetragichero

Re: New "Designer" caps discussion.

Post by thetragichero »

i am personally too skeptical and pragmatic to spend several dollars on a film coupling cap. i have a theory that some of these fancy yellow axial caps are the same thing as the cheap yellow film caps from antique electronic supply/ce distribution but with different printing on the outside (these el cheapo film caps have fairly hefty leads but you're right, most are made to fit in pcb holes so they don't seem nearly as rugged as the ones i pull out of old hammond organ amps)

i do dig aesthetics though so i've been using the mod electrolytic caps. i think they look cool and i haven't had problems with them like i have with some other caps (16uf 475v axial caps have given me nothing but problems)

i usually throw the sprague black beauty/vitamin q caps i find at the electonics surplus store on reverb because folks who use them as tone/treble bleed caps in guitars pay dearly for em and if they're leaky who cares inside a guitar
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Any film or foil.cap is better than any.electrolytic cap, no matter the aesthetics. They are cheaper in the long run. Finding room is the only real issue.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
CraigGa

Post by CraigGa »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:36 pm Any film or foil.cap is better than any.electrolytic cap, no matter the aesthetics. They are cheaper in the long run. Finding room is the only real issue.
Are you referring to something like this TUBEDUDE?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/polyprop ... rs/6842254

Craig
Thinking about my second build.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Yes, but that case style can present mounting challenges if the amp isn't a new design. See if it fits in the allotted space, can be secured well , and connections made. Retrofitting in an amplifier may require some creativity.
CraigGa

Post by CraigGa »

Thanks,
I'm on with my first build now but if I make it to a second then I might investigate using those.

Craig
Thinking about my second build.
bal704

Post by bal704 »

I've used those (or similar) in a couple of builds. They seem to work well, but don't have any long term data on them. All my builds are from the ground up, so I manage to make room. They are large however.
CraigGa wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:01 pm
Are you referring to something like this TUBEDUDE?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/polyprop ... rs/6842254

Craig
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I've used them for 20 years in my builds. Better in every way and no issues other than mounting. Solens and Auden are favorite brands but many others work just as well.
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

The sozo caps are now made in China.
anything worth doing, is worth doing right
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Honestly, the materials and machinery needed to allow someone to be "rolling their own" capacitor is a bit of a stretch. I seriously doubt any of these bs boutique caps are made anywhere beyond a real capacitor manufacturing facility. I would be surprised if they weren't. There is a video on Youtube showing how the CE distribution quad caps are made, which is interesting, but it's a rare example of an actual hand-made antique capacitor.

The volume of parts you need to make for it to be viable to buy from another company who makes capacitors is sizeable, but that's much more viable than to make your "own brand" capacitor.

I have found the common brands, Mallory 150, Mojo DiJon, and Xicon, Orange Drops or Panasonic from Mouser all sound similar. It's more a case of the proper form factor (size and shape) for your application. These insanely priced "Astron" or reproduction caps (which likely look more like old caps, than are actually built in any special way), are snake oil.

I'm sure many may disagree....
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

No, I am sold to your point of view, but it seems that some customers are sold to the other one and several of them seem ready to pay more for that snake oil - provided their amp lies on the hype side -
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

In contrast, many insist on using old blue electrolytic caps in a new build, because that's what they used 50 years ago.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Totally agree with Fuchs here.... I've been into sourcing components for quite critical applications for decades, and I don't for a second believe all the BS served by boutique vendors. "Rolling your own" capacitors without serious machinery is just nonsense.. the production spread will be far too high and reliability way too low.... This applies to the very few that may actually do so, but the rest is just rebranded commercial stuff with a fancy story and and an even fancier price tag...
Reliability is down to solid design and quality components.... OTOH - old mustards and the likes are still good components, even if prices are going through the roof....