Turrets on PCBs - components on

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BOWMUSIC

Turrets on PCBs - components on

Post by BOWMUSIC »

I have put the components on. The turrets stand the heat very well. It's not beautiful , but it proves the design.At least , swaged turrets with soldering on the back are pretty strong.

R.G.

Re: Turrets on PCBs - components on

Post by R.G. »

Again, very nice work. Congratulations!

If you continue this style of building, it might be useful to see if you can arrange the components and/or traces so that the turret that leads off the board is at the edge of the board. I've found this trick to make it much easier to repair and modify boards, as the wires don't get in the way as much.

Let us know how it sounds.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Can you post a pic of the turret lugs "soldered on the back" of the board? Thank you
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

love the idea of the hybrid PCB/stalked turret boards as well.
When I was planning and designing the layout of my amp, I created a scale drawing for all my wiring, terminals, and components. Even so, I'm glad I didn't have a PCB made at that stage, because after testing, modifying, and testing... and testing; I needed to experiment and realize that there were layout changes I needed to make which were a pain in the ass even with mostly hand wired components (A case could be made that ultimately just having another board made may have been less of a headache though). Are your results here what you expected from you prototype?

You did some nice work on yours. I like RG's suggestion, and would add that with the increasing quality and availability of radial Box caps (particularly in the power supply), I would probably swage eyelet type terminals for those and solder under the board.
The biggest lesson for me though, was no matter how confident I think I am in the layout or design, I will never do under the board wiring or soldering with out readily available access to the underside of the board.

Really nice work. Congrats.
You might have said in a previous thread, but who did you use to make you PCBs for you?