Hard Clipping

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Re: Hard Clipping

Post by ViperDoc »

Here are some better scope shots. Things behaved when I set my probes to AC coupling. Yellow is PI first triode plate, Pink is PI second triode plate.

BRIGHT 100 NORMAL 50 AT THE PI PLATES
5F8A PIP B100 N50.png
BRIGHT 100 NORMAL 100 AT THE PI PLATES
5f8A PIP B100 N100.png
My rudimentary understanding here suggests that the slope of the clip indicates phase shift, and the onset of clipping looks sharp, never smooth like I see on some scope shots. Even if I dial the gain up slightly, the onset of clipping is still sharp. How best to smooth it out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Sorry about the dual post, I admit, it's a tad annoying. I looked at the JTM45 schematic and there is twice the filtering available for V1 and 2 (16 uF vs. 8 uF on the 5F8A), so I tack soldered another 8 uF cap across the first (two 8 uF in parallel = 16 uF!) and it might not be coming off. Kinda nice, a little tamer. Maybe a touch smoother. I upped the gNFB to a 100K and it's nice, but maybe a bit too high. Anyone ever done "tuned" gNFB? like run more NFB against one side of a 1 nF cap? Like 8 R tap--> (1) 82K---> Presence pot; 8R Tap--> (2) 1 nF cap--> 100K --> Presence Pot?
Just plug it in, man.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I swear.. try 33k on hi input's stage grid.. right on the socket. Don't remove anything, just add that one grid stop. You have no shielded wire with an open amp and it's driving you insane.

Try that, play only that channel.. then do it also to the normal channel and seal the amp up without adding and tweaking until the amp is ugly, you are old, and Elon Musk makes a gas powered version with a flame thrower. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
teemuk

Post by teemuk »

ViperDoc wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:40 pmEven if I dial the gain up slightly, the onset of clipping is still sharp. How best to smooth it out?
Get rid of global negative feedback. Drive output tubes with a low Z circuit so they don't "load" and clamp the PI when grid clipping. Different bias on PI? Lower gain overall. Try soft limiting the signal before PI.
Point is, you will never get very "smooth" clipping with this type of power amp circuit. Most would still regard it as an example of revered and archetypal "power amp distortion" of guitar amps. Forget how it looks on scope.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It's simpler though. He isn't getting Tweed Whine.

This amp needs input grid stoppers and a shielded cover when operated. That is all. It will function as an original. Bet.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:43 pm It's simpler though. He isn't getting Tweed Whine.

This amp needs input grid stoppers and a shielded cover when operated. That is all. It will function as an original. Bet.
So this amp has four 68K grid stoppers, one on each input jack. You would add a socket-mounted 33K on the V1 grids with 2 inches of shielded wire?
Just plug it in, man.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Here's what the PI looks like on the scope now after correcting the 100K/82K PI plate resistor misplacement. BETTER!

5F8A BRIGHT 100 NORMAL 50
SDS00023.png
5F8A BRIGHT 100 NORMAL 100
SDS00024.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just plug it in, man.