Next Build: Modded Blackface Vibrochamp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

Re: Next Build: Modded Blackface Vibrochamp

Post by Stevem »

The bottom line is that a tube recto puts less audible noise hash into the audio stream, unless you go with modern fast recovery type diodes .

In a class A type output stage like you are building here the current draw from the power transformer is very very close to maximum all the time so having a tube recto in the amp to have voltage sag take place is a waste, the only thing really the tube recto would be doing is adding its filament heat into the amp.

Seeing as tubes have gotten so expensive as of late I would take the money you would have spent on the tube recto and pick up an extra preamp tube or output tube.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
matoni

Post by matoni »

here is my layout for an eyelet board. It is hand drawn because Idk how to use DIYLC, so please pardon the mess (still cleaner than my first attempt at using DIYLC though... that was a mess). If you do decide to grace my layout with your time, please let me know if you have any comments. this is my first time semi-designing a layout, so please let me know if I made any mistakes, if anything could be routed better, or if there is anything that I just plain forgot and messed up on. Thanks so much in advance for all of your feedback. I have attached both the schematic and the layout itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

ExpressSCH for Windows and J-schem (Apple) are FREE programs that are super easy to use, very intuitive and there are 100's of SCH schematics and layouts already drawn that can be edited and modified.

There is a component library already in the program. Having said that, you can open someone's schematic or layout and click on a component and save it for your own custom library.

IF you'd like a neater looking layout and one you can modify/edit as needed .............. I'd suggest trying ExpressSCH. This link has the website for the programs:

Info here: https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?board=12.0

Here is a jump start for you in drawing up the layout IF you want to use it. This is easily editable.

With respect, 10thtx

More examples of SCH schematics on TAG

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17449

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21288
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matoni

Post by matoni »

thanks... Ill check it out
matoni

Post by matoni »

this program seems kind of like an eagle. IK how to use eagle already so Im going to try and do the layout in there just using shapes and stuff for the pots and jacks (I have a mac and I couldn't see any of the preset libraries in Jschem (probably because I can't use it). Im going to try out eagle and post the layout as soon as possible. Then I found this extremely interesting post on someone who made a turret board/pcb, so I think I am going to try and do that (my original idea was to make a PCB like Ryan Colgan's, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet). Thanks for the recommendation and the starting point.
matoni

Post by matoni »

here is my eagle drawing. Maybe this will make a little more sense than my hand drawn one. If it doesn't, then Im just going to skip the preliminary layout and skip straight to designing my hybrid PCB/turret board. Thanks in advance for the help.
matoni

Post by matoni »

just got all my stuff today. will send a picture of the loaded chassis once I get it drilled out and loaded. then I will begin to stuff the PCB that I designed and hopefully fire this thing up. Super excited for the next couple of weeks.
matoni

Post by matoni »

sorry for my absense. I just finished the amp build and I will send pictures as soon as I get a chance. It sounds brilliant, with extremely high gain for a fender amp ... which I love. Super happy with how this amp turned out. thank you all for all of your help. Be on the lookout for questions on my next project!!

Thanks again