Mercury Magnetics issues?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Mercury Magnetics issues?

Post by martin manning »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:10 pmJust the mA ratings and wiring color code.
They don't have data sheets available for many of their transformers on line, and when they do, the information provided is minimal. Output transformer data sheets don't include primary impedance or power ratings, power transformers are missing current ratings and some voltages, and if voltages are listed there is no indication of whether they are loaded or unloaded. Prices are often much higher: Today I'm seeing $193 vs. $119 for a Mojo (Heyboer) BF Twin output transformer. PT's are comparable, though.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I have had a wholesale account set up with them for a while now. I do not pay the listed prices. This affects my bias toward them, but since Classic Tone is gone, I would rather deal with MM than most others. In most cases, I am not buying them for myself anyway.

As far as Edcor... talk about a wait time! I can order and receive three sets of TXs consecutively from MM in the time it takes to order and receive one set from Edcor.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have never ordered from them because there are or were many other lower cost but high value transformers to choose from.

Colossal has given me some Mercury Transformers and they sound good.

Mark
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

I finally got an email late yesterday, after calling again, saying they were shipping it. Guess they are just behind.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:57 pm I have had a wholesale account set up with them for a while now. I do not pay the listed prices. This affects my bias toward them, but since Classic Tone is gone, I would rather deal with MM than most others. In most cases, I am not buying them for myself anyway.

As far as Edcor... talk about a wait time! I can order and receive three sets of TXs consecutively from MM in the time it takes to order and receive one set from Edcor.
^^ All of this is the same for me. Been ordering from them for 15 years. Love Heyboer too, but over the last year and a half they just got crushed by labor issues and increased workload with ClassicTone closing. I had to cancel some orders because they got so far behind.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

rutledj wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:00 pm I finally got an email late yesterday, after calling again, saying they were shipping it. Guess they are just behind.
Yep.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

Masco wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:36 pm Gave up on them like a decade ago for many reasons. Not listing full specs of their products online should be a warning sign.
this is what has always kept me from coughing up the extra bucks
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.