National (Valco) 1215 amp layout

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Doclinz

National (Valco) 1215 amp layout

Post by Doclinz »

Picked up ‘52 National 1215 tube “project” amp. No tubes were installed in the amp. I have a schematic and could likely figure out what goes where re proximity to other components / pin config, but…if anyone out there has one of these amps and could help with tube layout, this would be greatly appreciated.
Stevem

Re: National (Valco) 1215 amp layout

Post by Stevem »

There is s early and late version of this amp.
One uses all large 8pin tubes sockets, and the in the other two of the sockets are the smaller 9 pin type .

Which version do you have?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Doclinz

Post by Doclinz »

All large sockets. On closer inspection, I’m finding engraved tube designations on 5 of the 8 sockets.

6JS7 on the 2 closest to L side (one directly behind the other).
Moving along the back ‘row’ to the R:
6SN7
6SL7G (schematic shows 6SL7)
6SN7
In front of the 6SN7 and the PT are 3 unmarked sockets,which must be the 5U4G rectifier & 2 6L6G tubes.

I guess I may be stuck doing a bit of circuit tracing regardless, but it should be easier than I had imagined.

Can consider this one closed. I’ll post a layout when I determine the remaining mystery sockets.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Doclinz wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:27 pmI guess I may be stuck doing a bit of circuit tracing regardless, but it should be easier than I had imagined.
Piece of cake. The rectifier is easy to identify. Only four of the eight pins are connected, and all but one of the leads will go to the power transformer..
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Doclinz wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:27 pm 6SL7G (schematic shows 6SL7)
"G" means glass tube rather than metal jacket. Either will be OK, as long as you have a good tube.
Doclinz

Post by Doclinz »

Got it!

Fairly easy and intuitive. Thanks for the tips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.