What is the actual lineage of the Fender Model T RI? Is it Fender\Marshall or Soldanian?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Nickerz

What is the actual lineage of the Fender Model T RI? Is it Fender\Marshall or Soldanian?

Post by Nickerz »

So I am really having a laugh here because I'm trying to figure out where Channel 2 on a Fender Model T Reissue is coming from.
  • Some people have claimed it's basically a Mig 50 preamp
  • Others have claimed it's JTM in origin (though I don't hear it)
  • And the shop I was about to contract to mod one of my Randall MTS modules wanted an SLO donor.
My ear tells me the SLO origin is actually correct. But in my limited and still very novice eyes, the first thing I notice when looking to Channel 2 on the schematic below, is that it is still very much a Fender circuit.

I've also seen

https://irationaudio.files.wordpress.co ... sue-p1.jpg
https://schematicheaven.net/newamps/sovtek_mig50.pdf
https://i1.wp.com/audiodoctorslo.com/wp ... .gif?ssl=1

I think a lot of these people are mixing up the reissue with the original Model T which was bassman derived, which is part of the lineage of the Mig50. Any input is appreciated!
thetragichero

Re: What is the actual lineage of the Fender Model T RI? Is it Fender\Marshall or Soldanian?

Post by thetragichero »

marshall/soldano but can't get that "standard fender stage" out of its craw
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
teemuk

Re: What is the actual lineage of the Fender Model T RI? Is it Fender\Marshall or Soldanian?

Post by teemuk »

IMHO, very much the usual setup: Marshall 2203 with added gain stage at input and couple of other mods here and there to tinker the response and gain. 18k cold cathode bias on the 3rd stage is an intermediate between 2203's 10k and Soldano's 39k. (And yes, SLO is also a 2203 with input boost and few mods).

Low cathode bypass capacitances (for treble boost), JMP era tonestack circuit, and cold cathode bias stage are dead giveaways that it is not a classic Fender circuit.

MIG50 is a Marshall 1959 clone. (The model with parallel bright and normal channels and JTM era style tonestack).

Bassman 5F6A is merely what Marshall based its first JTM series amps on. Addition of bright channel, emphasized high mids response overall, less mid scooped response of the tone controls and master volume are all Marshall additions to tweak the design to something quite different. So is the later invention to cascade the - formerly parallel - channels for higher gain.
Last edited by teemuk on Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Sunn made the original Model T. It was a powerful clean amp. Much later, Fender bought Sunn. Fender's Model T looks nothing like the Sunn original. Only the name survived.
Nickerz

Post by Nickerz »

teemuk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:36 am IMHO, very much the usual setup: Marshall 2203 with added gain stage at input and couple of other mods here and there to tinker the response and gain. 18k cold cathode bias on the 3rd stage is an intermediate between 2203's 10k and Soldano's 39k. (And yes, SLO is also a 2203 with input boost and few mods).

Low cathode bypass capacitances (for treble boost), JMP era tonestack circuit, and cold cathode bias stage are dead giveaways that it is not a classic Fender circuit.

MIG50 is a Marshall 1959 clone. (The model with parallel bright and normal channels and JTM era style tonestack).

Bassman 5F6A is merely what Marshall based its first JTM series amps on. Addition of bright channel, emphasized high mids response overall, less mid scooped response of the tone controls and master volume are all Marshall additions to tweak the design to something quite different. So is the later invention to cascade the - formerly parallel - channels for higher gain.
Thank you, I was able to cop what I wanted out of the Model T RI enough by just turning the gain down on my SLO\2203 hybrid setup, did just what I wanted without having to spend a single penny :D