Peavey Mace OT differences

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Peavey Mace OT differences

Post by Bombacaototal »

Hi all,

I have been on a rabbit hole recently. I found out that Peavey changed the OT of the Mace over time. I know there were two versions as well, VT Series and 320T, although I've seen 4/8ohms OT taps on both versions

Looks like some of the VT series were changed from 4/8 ohms version (pics and schematic attached) to 2/4ohms version (manual attached)

OT part 705-00036: 4 and 8 ohms, ?? Primary
OT part 705-10036: 2 and 4 ohms, 1.71 K primary

Now, does anyone know if they kept the same primary when they went from 2/4ohms to 4/8ohms?

Any more insights?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Re: Peavey Mace OT differences

Post by Stevem »

If both amps use the same output tubes then the primaries would be the same.

Of course you simply could unsolder the OT center tap and then ohm test from end to end on each one to check the resistance.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks Steve, yes the power tubes are 6x 6L6 on both iterations.

Makes sense! Thanks for the tip on the measurement, the only issue is that I do not have access to the 4/8ohms version
imjonwain

Post by imjonwain »

Might be worth asking Peavey? They used to be pretty good with tech support on old products.
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

imjonwain wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:52 pm Might be worth asking Peavey? They used to be pretty good with tech support on old products.
I did send emails and they did not reply, I then went onwards to call but they were a bit reluctant to give me the information. I may try again...
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Both use the same output tubes so both will have the same primary.

The 2 ohm winding was already there so to speak in the OT with the 4 and 8 ohm secondary tap, all that had to be done when making the OT was to add the 2 ohm tap during the winding process.

When the OT was changed to be able to use a 2 ohm load that would have called for more current capacity and in turn thicker gauge wire to be used.
This would have added cost unless the intensional elimination of the 8 ohm tap ( now less wire needed ) allowed them cost wise to have a wash in the usage of the heavier gauge wire now needed for the 2 ohm tap.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks Steven, that does make sense, I appreciate the input