Transformer Alignment

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

craftyjam

Transformer Alignment

Post by craftyjam »

This may seem like a stupid question, but here it is.

If I have two transformers bell-facing down, layed out as in the pic, will this accomplish the same hum reduction as having one transformer bell facing down and the other one bell facing out vertically? I know you want them to be 90 degrees out of alignment with each other, but I want to be sure before I drill my chassis.
IMG_20230123_151718818.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Transformer Alignment

Post by xtian »

To be sure, use the "headphone trick". I've detailed it many time on this forum, and it's an extremely useful tool when doing your own layout.

https://www.google.com/search?q=headpho ... garage.com
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
craftyjam

Post by craftyjam »

xtian wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:38 am To be sure, use the "headphone trick". I've detailed it many time on this forum, and it's an extremely useful tool when doing your own layout.

https://www.google.com/search?q=headpho ... garage.com
Can I know for sure without building the amp? I'm pretty sure this alignment should offer the same hum reduction since they are still 90 degrees out of allignment.

If anyone else has done this type of layout in the past and can confirm I would greatly appreciate it. :mrgreen:
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

craftyjam

Post by craftyjam »

sluckey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:06 am Look at this...

http://sluckeyamps.com/hammond_2/hammond2.htm
Thanks sluckey! Looks like exactly what I had in mind.
bepone

Post by bepone »

craftyjam wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:27 am This may seem like a stupid question, but here it is.

If I have two transformers bell-facing down, layed out as in the pic, will this accomplish the same hum reduction as having one transformer bell facing down and the other one bell facing out vertically? I know you want them to be 90 degrees out of alignment with each other, but I want to be sure before I drill my chassis.

IMG_20230123_151718818.jpg
you didnt make anything good with that orientation..still will be the el.mag. coupling between them, change the axis for output tranformer (to vertical mounting).
if you really want to go that mounting, make distance between them as far as possible.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Hammond made several successful organ amps using that transformer orientation. AO-63, AO-29, and AO-35 quickly come to mind. Dr. Z converted an AO-35 to his popular Carmen Ghia amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

craftyjam wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:59 amCan I know for sure without building the amp? I'm pretty sure this alignment should offer the same hum reduction since they are still 90 degrees out of alignment.
Yes. Just place the transformers in the planned orientation, energize the primary of the power transformer (with other leads protected from shorting), and measure or listen to the induced voltage in the output transformer. Move the OT around so you can see/hear the effect of rotation and distance.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Do it. It's easy, and you will avoid unwanted hum at idle.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

As the old saying goes "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different".
The magnetic coupling theory will say be perpendicular to the other field. Done!

I made several builds using the same sets of iron. They all required different alignment for minimum hum. One required the OT to be mounted to a section of angle aluminum in the "Z" axis for minimum hum!
Always so this with all iron on the chassis. After alignment of the PT and OT, adding the choke (if used) will bend the field, requiring repositioning of the trannies.

Since this is a new build, I'd recommend punching tube sockets for best performance also.. i.e. the first stage closest to the input jack, reverb or loop returns closest to their associated jacks etc.

The component alignments of mass produced amps are more for ease of manufacture than performance.
Even building a clone, the above procedures will make a better amp than slavishly repeating the shortcuts of mass production.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
JPK64

Post by JPK64 »

martin manning wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 pm
craftyjam wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:59 amCan I know for sure without building the amp? I'm pretty sure this alignment should offer the same hum reduction since they are still 90 degrees out of alignment.
Yes. Just place the transformers in the planned orientation, energize the primary of the power transformer (with other leads protected from shorting), and measure or listen to the induced voltage in the output transformer. Move the OT around so you can see/hear the effect of rotation and distance.
Saved me the typing. :D
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Thirded. The headphone trick has worked every time I've used it.
Just plug it in, man.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

I prefer hooking my meter up and measuring that way. I've found my ears to be subjective, but my meter doesn't lie (usually)...
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

I am also a big fan of the headphone trick. Use it all the time.

Guy