peavey transformers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

phillyhudson

peavey transformers

Post by phillyhudson »

hi all - I've just got a bargain peavey valve king 100 so going to use it as donor amp for next bluesmaster type build - I've measured the unloaded mains transformer and it has HT - 350V , next tap that peavey are using for rectified heaters and other stuff is 27V , and bias is 80V - I think the bias voltage is easy enough to reduce , but cant really see how I can use the 27v tap for heaters - has anyone any good ideas about it or shall I just buy another transformer for the heaters ?
sluckey

Re: peavey transformers

Post by sluckey »

Peavey rectified the 27v for heater source. The four 6L6s were connected in series and also connected in series with three parallel connected 12AX7s. If your amp will have four 6L6s and three 12AX7s you can use the same peavey circuit. If you will have a different tube lineup probably easier to use a separate fillament transformer.

See schematic...

https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... ng_212.pdf
phillyhudson

Post by phillyhudson »

ah right so does that mean I have to have the same rectification circuit after the diodes before I connect it to pin 7 of first 6L6 then from pin 2 of same valve to the next 6L6's pin 7 and so on until I get to the 12ax7's ? and I have to use the three 100uf 50v capacitors just for the serially-connected 6L6's ?
and there's a 400r resistor at the end of the heater rectification circuit that uses 14v to power the reverb - might I need to lose some voltage if I dont use that ?
sorry for all the questions - I'm just not very familiar with this set-up - I've only ever used AC heaters before
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

That 400Ω is not part of the filament circuit. Ignore R212 and C216.
I wrote:If your amp will have four 6L6s and three 12AX7s you can use the same peavey circuit. If you will have a different tube lineup probably easier to use a separate filament transformer.