Need help to convert from a Bulgin plug to a IEC compliant fused socket.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wnc_M_O_L_H

Need help to convert from a Bulgin plug to a IEC compliant fused socket.

Post by wnc_M_O_L_H »

I have an Orange Matamp ORST. It has a Bulgin power plug. Those aren't legal in the USA so I assume that is why the seller didn't include a cable. I bought a cable from Cutthroat Audio and the plastic is extremely brittle on the bulgin end and in unplugging it turned out to be cracked. I had a massive spark show, lucky I didn't get fried, so I have decided the bulgin must go. I am not selling the amp, and I have had really bad experiences leaving amps or guitars to be repaired and I'm not going to lose this ORST.

The Bulgin is wired with a yellow wire with green stripe to one pin, a red wire to one pin, a black wire to one pin.

I purchased an IEC compliant fuse socket like Electric(Black, White, Red, Blue Amps) and Orange uses- in fact in looking at my Orange OR50 and the Retro 50, it appears exactly the same.

Here is my problem: the Bulgin is 3 wires. The fused IEC has 4 flat spade connectors. One big one is aligned with the neutral(ground) plug.

Another big one is aligned with a positive terminal. Immediately below it are two smaller spade connecters. The side where the other positive terminal is just has a flat back.

Can anyone help me rewire from Bulgin to IEC ? If it helps, I also purchased an amplifier specific IEC type connector but it has no fuse but it has 3 terminals on the back. If I just knew where to run the yellow wire with green stripe, the red, and the black, I'd use this other IEC connector- it is for fitting in a Bulgin hole but it doesn't have a fuse built in. I bought it from tube amp doctor.

I am not blowing $170+ on a Cutthroat cable for it to be brittle as the original bulgin crap. I bought a Cutthroat cable, I paid to have it FedEx'd two day and he put the cable in two plastic bags, which is reasonable, except we no longer live in a reasonable world and FedEx takes great pride in figuring out new and inventive ways to destroy things.

Thanks. I hope I can get some help. The closest amp tech to me is 3 and 1/2 hours and I don't feel comfortable leaving things, especially when people are vague: "Well I have a backlog, and you better leave it because it could take me 2-3 days" I just do not trust anyone anymore.
wnc_M_O_L_H

Re: Need help to convert from a Bulgin plug to a IEC compliant fused socket.

Post by wnc_M_O_L_H »

Well Sluckey, I have one of those. It is rated at 250V 15A. You take and can use a spade terminal like that one or you can just put the stripped section of wire in and if you start tightening- it clamps on the wire.

The issue is that I have no idea where the wires from the Bulgin inlet(three male round pins) go wrt to the US style.

I have that one too. Now how the I know to translate the wires ? I dunno.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

you said...
The Bulgin is wired with a yellow wire with green stripe to one pin, a red wire to one pin, a black wire to one pin.
Just transfer those three wires to the IEC I linked at Amazon. One of the Amazon pics shows which wire goes where.

If you still cannot figure this out, post a hi-rez pic of the back of your IEC and we'll sort it for you.
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

In the UK, the live wire is brown, the neutral wire is blue, and the ground wire is green/yellow.

The live wire on a US socket is the longer blade, or top left when looking at the socket with the ground hole on the bottom. The other blade is neutral.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

mhuss wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:01 pm In the UK, the live wire is brown, the neutral wire is blue, and the ground wire is green/yellow.
That was from about 1970 onwards.
Previously the colour code was live red, neutral black, earth green.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

On the back of the IEC receptacle is should be labeled “L” line( hot), “N” neutral and “G” ground. The red inside the amp id assume was hot, black neutral and the green with yellow is earth ground.
Roe

Post by Roe »

www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s