New hand wired 62 Princeton.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

New hand wired 62 Princeton.

Post by Stevem »

Yesterday at work I had to stuff a new pilot lamp in one of these $2300 amps so I thought I would pull it apart and share a quick review of it.

In short it sounds really great, is built great as you can see from the photos and even the cab is not particle board, but real wood.

Only thing that needs to be addressed about this amp if close Micing it for recording is that when you turn the intensity up there’s a good amount of low frequency throbbing going on.

Of all the amps I have played thru, a 62 Princeton is not one of them so I dont know if this is normal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
TUBEDUDE

Re: New hand wired 62 Princeton.

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Many will be crushed to see no huge blue Atoms in the supply! 🤣
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Some interesting stuff! I see three circuit grounds made to the chassis next to the board. It looks like 2 of them are from filter caps and the 3rd must be at the "end" of the preamp or PI circuit. I'm curious about the input jacks, which are hard to see. Is there a circuit ground near the input jacks? I am asking this because I feel as though I am the outlier on this -- everyone likes to do it this way but me. I have never grounded the audio circuit at the input jack end. I want to know what Fender did and if you think it is quiet enough.

Also, I see IC filter caps. I've seen those get rated as, at best, mediocre. I've used them and don't understand, what's the problem? I was pleased to see Fender used them.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Another nice part of the build is that it's made with 3 fuses , one primary side and 2 on the secondary, and it has a ground switch.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Loo-OOOpy yellow wires. Clearly they do not have enough OCD Fu on their team.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

There sure is a lot of solder and flux spatter on the board. Yikes!
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Phil_S wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:01 pm Some interesting stuff! I see three circuit grounds made to the chassis next to the board. It looks like 2 of them are from filter caps and the 3rd must be at the "end" of the preamp or PI circuit. I'm curious about the input jacks, which are hard to see. Is there a circuit ground near the input jacks? I am asking this because I feel as though I am the outlier on this -- everyone likes to do it this way but me. I have never grounded the audio circuit at the input jack end. I want to know what Fender did and if you think it is quiet enough.

Also, I see IC filter caps. I've seen those get rated as, at best, mediocre. I've used them and don't understand, what's the problem? I was pleased to see Fender used them.
The IC caps had a run or two of bad caps in the past. They may be OK now.but those of us that were stung avoid them. The reason Fender uses them I'm sure is purely economic.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:38 pm
Phil_S wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:01 pm Some interesting stuff! I see three circuit grounds made to the chassis next to the board. It looks like 2 of them are from filter caps and the 3rd must be at the "end" of the preamp or PI circuit. I'm curious about the input jacks, which are hard to see. Is there a circuit ground near the input jacks? I am asking this because I feel as though I am the outlier on this -- everyone likes to do it this way but me. I have never grounded the audio circuit at the input jack end. I want to know what Fender did and if you think it is quiet enough.

The IC caps had a run or two of bad caps in the past. They may be OK now.but those of us that were stung avoid them. The reason Fender uses them I'm sure is purely economic.
Yea everything I've read/heard is that if you buy off he shelf IC they're actually pretty decent, but fender actually pays for them in bulk but asked for a really low price and to meet that agreed to slightly lower requirements, meaning they're basically pretty crap... but not ALL IC are crap, just the fender used ones :D I too still won't buy them, though, too many other brands that are great and not having that past.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Masco

Post by Masco »

Is that a 1 ohm R in the cathode I see for bias adj.?
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I have been pleasantly surprised by the past few years of mid to high-end fender stuff I have worked on. Seems like they have actually read complaints and remedied things. Still some silliness, but much improvement from the 90s-early 2000s.
Phil_S wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:01 pm Also, I see IC filter caps. I've seen those get rated as, at best, mediocre. I've used them and don't understand, what's the problem? I was pleased to see Fender used them.
I get at least 3-5 amps in every year with very low hours but past warranty and a dead IC electrolytic. They tend to fail open with no signs of damage which makes me wonder if it is related to handling at fender or spot welder settings at IC. I have nothing against the brand, but avoid their high voltage electrolytics when possible. If someone has me working on their amp I usually recommend replacing at least the plate and screen caps. Another $10 to put in F&T or Nichicon is a no brainer, especially If I have to pull the board for something else anyway.
pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:11 pm Yea everything I've read/heard is that if you buy off he shelf IC they're actually pretty decent, but fender actually pays for them in bulk but asked for a really low price and to meet that agreed to slightly lower requirements, meaning they're basically pretty crap..

Lower-rated for a bulk discount makes sense... Never had a problem with the low-voltage axial caps and really like their yellow axial film caps.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:11 pm
TUBEDUDE wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:38 pm

Yea everything I've read/heard is that if you buy off he shelf IC they're actually pretty decent, but fender actually pays for them in bulk but asked for a really low price and to meet that agreed to slightly lower requirements, meaning they're basically pretty crap... but not ALL IC are crap, just the fender used ones :D I too still won't buy them, though, too many other brands that are great and not having that past.

~Phil
Sounds like the bean counters are still in charge over there.
That makes as much sense as buying all the tubes that fail QC to get bulk at a lower price.
Factory amps, whatcha gonna do.🤷‍♂️
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:37 pm Factory amps, whatcha gonna do.🤷‍♂️
Spend 14 years with you grubs trying to invent perfection.

TOTALLY WORTH IT

If this place existed in 1979 we would all be rich.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:59 am

TOTALLY WORTH IT

Not me! I apparently have an aversion to making a healthy profit from this avocation.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:52 pm
Reeltarded wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:59 am

TOTALLY WORTH IT

Not me! I apparently have an aversion to making a healthy profit from this avocation.
HAHAHA this gave me a great chuckle this morning, thanks :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!