How would you design transformers in such a way so that you can run a tube amp without a load ?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maxkracht

Re: How would you design transformers in such a way so that you can run a tube amp without a load ?

Post by maxkracht »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:31 pm by TUBEDUDE » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:31 pm

You can run power tubes like preamp tubes. Disconnect the O.T. primary and run the plates with high value resistors to the B+. Then couple to the balanced line level xfmr I mentioned earlier.
That clip sounds like exactly what tubedude said. There is a load, just not a low z speaker or dummy load.
Cathode Ray

Re: How would you design transformers in such a way so that you can run a tube amp without a load ?

Post by Cathode Ray »

teemuk wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:39 am Of course it will not react or behave even remotedly like a real tube power amp but that has always seemed to be more inconsequental in practice than fancy catchwords like "custom wound transformers".
I have more questions for him, but if I understand it correctly - the whole "custom wound transformer" thing refers to an additional set of taps off the OT - where he's taking the output signal and running it out.
Cathode Ray

Post by Cathode Ray »

maxkracht wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:18 pm That clip sounds like exactly what tubedude said. There is a load, just not a low z speaker or dummy load.
Agree.

In the video he uploaded this morning, he answered my previous questions, but additionally he said the signal he's tapping off the OT is being "padded down".