Solid State rectifier in a 5F1 circut?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Schwebel

Solid State rectifier in a 5F1 circut?

Post by Schwebel »

I've come across a power tranny I'd like to use for a 5F1 project, but it does not have a 5v tap for a tube rectifier. I was wondering if anyone had a schematic and/or layout for a 5F1 with a solid state rectifer. Or knows how to incorperate a SS rectifier in that circut.
Voodoo_Man

Re: Solid State rectifier in a 5F1 circut?

Post by Voodoo_Man »

Schwebel wrote:I've come across a power tranny I'd like to use for a 5F1 project, but it does not have a 5v tap for a tube rectifier. I was wondering if anyone had a schematic and/or layout for a 5F1 with a solid state rectifer. Or knows how to incorperate a SS rectifier in that circut.
Look here>>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

God Bless,

John
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

I edited one of my schematics to give you a better idea of how to proceed.
1N4007 diodes are fine or use a FWB package. The R & C values are for example only. I left the DC heaters, you may not want those.

Good Luck & God Bless,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjman

Post by jjman »

I plugged a SS rectifier into the 5y3 socket of my homebrew champ for a jam once. An arch occurred thru the 6v6 socket and I had to change it and the tube. May have been coincidence but I think the increased voltage put it over the edge. It was already too high.

Using SS is fine as long as you compensate the PS voltage somehow. With the low current draw of that amp you could use a 10watt resistor directly off the output of the diodes. Don’t use a bridge setup since that will provide still higher voltage.

I actually use a 1k resistor like that off of my tube rectifier. My voltage was too high from the power tranny not being the most appropriate. It reduced my plate from about 420 to 340 when biased at 12 watts.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
FunkyE9th

Post by FunkyE9th »

I suggest looking at Module 7, Chapter 4 of NEETS... http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

You have a choice between a bridge rectifier and conventional full-wave rectifier. See which one will work for you.
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

Schwebel wrote:I've come across a power tranny I'd like to use for a 5F1 project, but it does not have a 5v tap for a tube rectifier. I was wondering if anyone had a schematic and/or layout for a 5F1 with a solid state rectifer. Or knows how to incorperate a SS rectifier in that circut.
I made the assumption that your PT did not have a center tap. If it does, you can use a "full wave (two diode) C.T., rectifier circuit". Look at the PS for the Express on this site. If it doesn't, then you are kinda stuck with the circuit I posted. Anyway, here is a layout I found for a Princeton with a SS rectifier. Very similar to the Champ you want to build.

God Bless,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schwebel

Post by Schwebel »

Thank you for the layout, pretty much what I was looking for. That layout has vastly different filter cap values than a stock 5f2. is this because of the use of a SS rectifier? Also what is the purpose of the 5k 2watt resistor across filter cap 1 and 2? Sorry for the noobish questions.
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

And yet another. I think "Richie" designed this.

god Bless,
John
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

Schwebel wrote:Thank you for the layout, pretty much what I was looking for. That layout has vastly different filter cap values than a stock 5f2. is this because of the use of a SS rectifier? Also what is the purpose of the 5k 2watt resistor across filter cap 1 and 2? Sorry for the noobish questions.
Those control the voltage of various supplies (nodes) I call them rail dropping resistors. Don't sweat the cap values.

Good Luck & God Bless,

John
Ronsonic

Post by Ronsonic »

Voodoo_Man wrote:I edited one of my schematics to give you a better idea of how to proceed.
1N4007 diodes are fine or use a FWB package. The R & C values are for example only. I left the DC heaters, you may not want those.

Good Luck & God Bless,
John
If you use that FWB with the same transformer that would give the correct voltage with a tube you will have way too high a B+.

Use a two diode bridge and the center tap to ground. The voltage will still be a little high, but not the craziness that you're talking about.
joebob

Post by joebob »

Here's a little theory on what you want to do.

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/index.html

Dave
Instructions...I don't need no stinkin instructions
Voodoo_Man

Post by Voodoo_Man »

joebob wrote:Here's a little theory on what you want to do.

Dave
joebob, your post gave me an idea for a signature. :D

God Bless,
John
"Arnold, where's my tax refund???"