Getting good chord definition on a high gain build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DonMoose

Re: Getting good chord definition on a high gain build

Post by DonMoose »

What I liked was adding a clean channel parallel to the dirty. The setup I liked best, while I had it, was an ES-345 stereo (one output per pickup) into a Sunn Beta Lead (SS!, OMG!). Neck pup clear, bridge pup dirty. Add a bit pf phase and reverb and I got a nice Hammondy chord tone.

I plan to get back to something like that, but tube-based.
roberto

Post by roberto »

Roe wrote:What type of amps have good chord definition and clarity under distortion? A SLO100? An express or an Alessandro?
An express, just because you can set the amount of every frequency to get what you want. A slo needs some mods to achieve definition at highest gain settings.
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

EtherealWidow wrote:Haha. Yes. All Plexis! I've tried doing something like that in the studio by recording one note of the chord per track, but it always sounds really unnatural. :/ Not to mention when arpeggiating the chords, your timing has to be more than decent.
Reminds me of an interview i read with Mutt Lange where he made Phil Collen play single notes of each chord and dubbed them over a thousand times.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
EtherealWidow

Post by EtherealWidow »

beasleybodyshop wrote:
EtherealWidow wrote:Haha. Yes. All Plexis! I've tried doing something like that in the studio by recording one note of the chord per track, but it always sounds really unnatural. :/ Not to mention when arpeggiating the chords, your timing has to be more than decent.
Reminds me of an interview i read with Mutt Lange where he made Phil Collen play single notes of each chord and dubbed them over a thousand times.
Yeah. Frank Zappa would do that kind of stuff live with multiple musicians playing single notes of chords. It's a wonderful idea, but for me and my style, hard to pull off and unnatural sounding when I do.