Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Re: Jim kelly single channel layout ?

Post by vibratoking »

Structo wrote:Holy moly,

look at all them wires!

The assembler must have worked for Fender in the late 60's. :lol:

What is that stack of caps all about?
Looks like they turned the cap board on it's side to get it to fit.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

drew wrote:
Ang3lus wrote:
sounds like a great amp, very dumble like with distortion and very jtm45 clean when rolled down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKt7S89YMnA
Is it just me, or does this sound exactly like he always sounds? I'm pretty sure at this point that there is no brand of amplifier that will make me care to listen to this guy.
Sounds like he always sounds to me too. Over the years, I have started to appreciate him a bit more than I used to. He's not really original in his playing/creativity. But he is out carrying the torch, playing vintage guitars and amps on stage. Better than them being locking in a case in Japan. He has developed exceptional speed picking technique and he has studied the instrument much more than most. He has an Eric Johnson 'switch' that he turns on too often. It's a nice trick and he likes to show that he can do it. He also gives credit where credit is due with respect to that. I also noticed that he has worked on his voice quite a bit. All that said, he is not my cup of tea, but I have found ways to respect him.
Pm me for the layout!
How bout you just post the layout in the spirit of sharing?
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
oj

Post by oj »

Structo wrote:Holy moly,

look at all them wires!

The assembler must have worked for Fender in the late 60's. :lol:

What is that stack of caps all about?
But that is a modified JK.
Here is some pictures how JK amps normally looks like inside

http://i39.tinypic.com/2np1qp.jpg

http://s649.photobucket.com/user/cmon_m ... 4.jpg.html
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

According to Jim's schematic, the OT primary and the screens are supplied from B+1 (100uF filtering). There is a 2k 10W dropping resistor which drops the screen voltage by a mere 3V and is "shared" across all four power tubes. This is similar to Vox's approach where the OT and screens share the same supply node.

Any thoughts on what is effectively a single, shared screen resistor versus individual ones for each power tube? I think I recall Tubeswell commenting about this having a positive effect on sensitivity (don't quote me and I'm not quoting you Tubeswell)...just trying to remember.

EDIT: (or maybe it was Gingertube/Ian who commented?)
Long Distance Call

Post by Long Distance Call »

Here are some photos af an original Jim Kelley single channel with no reverb that I used to own. It was a great sounding amp, but seriously loud. On the bench, it measured 59 watts into 8 Ohms. It has a transformer coupled passive effects loop that JK told me had been installed by someone else.

LDC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hbamp

Post by hbamp »

When needed I have all the info on the new JK amps. incl. boardlayout, faceplate layout etc. And lot of detailed pics. Don't want to piss of Jim who is a member here. Love those amps and they deserve a prominent place on TAG allong with TW and DMBL. I just don't like Ceriatone to get away with it.
Dutch hand build amps
hbamp

Post by hbamp »

This schem is accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hbamp on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dutch hand build amps
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

The second triode seems to be missing the cathode resistor (and possibly cap) on the above...
Niki
shane

Post by shane »

How does the boost work on the new ones? It's not shown on that schematic.
I guessed that it might be a switched in cap on the mixer triode.
Cheers
Shane
hbamp

Post by hbamp »

Simple cathode boost with 1 uF Cap. You can simply make the boost adjustable with a 50K RA pot to make it a lot more versatile.
Last edited by hbamp on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch hand build amps
Structo

Post by Structo »

What is the silver cylindrical device located top left?

Pipe bomb? :shock:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
hbamp

Post by hbamp »

Some kind of home made filter for active guitars!
Dutch hand build amps
Long Distance Call

What is the silver cylindrical device located top left?

Post by Long Distance Call »

Tom,
I mentioned it when I posted those pictures, but forgot to say what it looked like. The amp has a transformer coupled, passive effects loop, that JK told me was not part of the original amp and had been installed by someone else.

The silver canister in the upper left corner of the JimKelley-05 photo is the audio transformer for the added effects loop.

I sure hope it's not a pipe bomb...

LDC
Structo

Post by Structo »

Hehehehe, thanks for the info, now it looks like a transformer. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I put this circuit in a mule the other day. 2x6V6 cathode biased with ~400V plates, as I've been curious about it for some time. I got the preamp voltages real close.
I used pics from the second amp posted, the one with no reverb. It matches the schematic(along with the obvious errors that have been posted), but without the recovery stage. So the treble wiper goes right to the grid of the stage that feeds the PI.
I left off the .1 "presence" boost at first. This amp had great cleans. I enjoyed them the way I do a Fender type, perhaps a bit more. They kinda reminded me of SSS cleans, but not as crystalline. A little warmer if that makes sense. Really really nice and lots of character. James stack stayed tight in the bass.
For the dirt, my amp seemed all about sweet spots. There were certain points before there was massive overdrive that sounded really good. Super gronky, frenetic, but enjoyable verge of breakup. Kinda like that 1 in 100 Fender on 7.
I had to get this amp pretty loud before it would heavily overdrive, and at that point it got a little messy for me. I don't possess a lot of finesse, though. For those that enjoy that sound, I totally see why there was a 30W switch on the original amps. 60W with that tone must be devastating, but on the other hand, would make the cleans/edge of breakup more powerful.
I installed a type 3 MV and it sounded bad with the preamp up. I added the K bypass on the 3rd stage but used a .47, and was really surprised at the boost provided that late in the staging. The amp broke up at 3 and sounded killer at somewhat reasonable volumes.
I'm knee deep in other stuff, but when I see daylight, I'm definitely gonna spend a few days with this amp. I think it's a great design, and highly customizable.