5F6A build transformer question...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thetragichero

Re: 5F6A build transformer question...

Post by thetragichero »

Phil_S wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:06 pm Sorry for taking a minor diversion on the wood block. Several years ago, I had an old blown transformer and decided I'd unwind it just because I could. (It took forever to split each lamination layer so they could be removed.) I was wanted to see how it was made. It had a wood block like that. It's an interesting thought that it might provide some relief for the inner windings. My reaction on the wood block was that it was probably inserted to take up the slack between the bobbin and the lams, basically to stabilized the placement of the core. I don't know, really, I don't. Just a thought...
the wood block is basically the "air gap," no? back when i was studying basics of inductors i know this is for a *very important* reason that maybe the more learned engineer-types can expound on but for a hack like me i took it as "it needs to be there" and left it at that. too much information on the brain makes other stuff fall out :lol:
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
martin manning

Re: 5F6A build transformer question...

Post by martin manning »

thetragichero wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:12 amthe wood block is basically the "air gap," no?
The air gap is typically in the core's flux path. It's a feature of output transformers for single-ended amps (which have to deal with high standing current) to avoid core saturation.