New Project - Is Potato

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Re: New Project - Is Potato

Post by Phil_S »

There is plenty of real estate on the rear and side walls!
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

I suppose you're right. I was shooting for a minimum of parts, wiring as directly between places where I could. If it's too noisy when I get it done, maybe I'll land a tag strip on the side by the preamp to separate some parts. I'm hopeful that the shortness of the runs helps minimize the impact of the close proximity. Guess we'll see!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

johnnyreece wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:11 pm ...maybe I'll land a tag strip on the side...
It's not like you're going over to the dark side. I'm not doing the work, but I think I'd start to have trouble manipulating parts and tool in such tight places. A little air won't hurt. BTW, I want to compliment your ingenuity and the tidy work. Good luck with it.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Thanks for calling it tidy! It doesn't feel that way. So, my kiddo was in bed last night and my wife was in the shower, so I got the power tube cathode wired, and tacked in a power cord and speaker just to give it a quick test on the limiter. Short answer is, it works! It was on the limiter, and I was using a "tester" (read: 30% life left) preamp tube, so no real indication of what it will actually sound like. I'll try to get some voltages measured and a sound report when it's fully together. The only real issue I seemed to have is that the volume...I mean "Vodka"...pot was wired backwards. I was sloppy when I flipped the layout, and flipped that as well. I've corrected the layout in my earlier post. Despite the tight layout, I don't seem to have excessive noise, although, once I get a less worn out preamp tube in there that might change. I'll also try to get a more complete layout later. I didn't bother to add the filaments or OT secondary wiring. In summary, what can I say? Is potato.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

So, I was able to get this up and running, with a test through my 2x12 cab. First off, it sounds big! I assume that the more-than-adequate OT has something to do with that. I've been running my 2w Express (4-4-0) for so long, I forgot what even 5-ish watts could sound like, punch-wise. With my Les Paul, it works as expected. Good clean tones early, good crunch in mid-volume, and smooth fuzz cranked all the way up. Sweet spot for the Tilt control, for me, was about 8 in humbucker mode. With the coil tapped, somewhere between 3-5 was good, depending on what I was going for. Speaking of the Tilt control:
brewdude wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:38 am I’m interested in your opinion of the tilt control.
I'm sold. It's so much more versatile than the standard Princeton tone control. Typically, I hate a tone control turned down less than half. Sounds like a blanket over the amp. Not so much with the Tilt. Often, it feels like my single coils are neutered when you turn the Tone knob down, but this didn't have that same feel. I know, I'm not using very descriptive terminology here. If I get a spectrum analyzer or whatever, I'll post the results. In the meantime, y'all can throw a couple caps and resistors at a pot and see what I'm talking about! :lol:

Next step will be a cab. My ever-so-brilliant wife suggested using burlap as a covering (like a potato sack). Seems like a cool idea that fits the motif. Whatever it is will likely have to wait, as I took a break on my bathroom remodel to get this part done. So, if anyone has any brilliant cab ideas in the meantime, feel free to throw them my way!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I found the tilt control (used on a much different amp) frustrating.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

brewdude wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:35 am I found the tilt control (used on a much different amp) frustrating.
Interesting! I suppose, versus a full tone stack, this isn't nearly as functional. However, strictly versus a single tone control, I feel it's got a much larger range of usefulness. It does make me wonder about doing that "Bone Ray" tone stack from Merlin's book, which is the tilt control with a mid control added. Maybe someday!
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Cool build! I dig the loaf pan thing. Curious if/how you are planning to mount it in a cabinet. I did the bone ray thing on a PTP amp conversion a few years ago and dug it, happy to look for pictures or a layout if you're interested. I'm a weirdo and probably have fewer years of TMB muscle memory to get in the way than the average forum member so I can totally see why some wouldn't like it.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Thanks! My plan is to mount it in a small cabinet. I bought several 6 1/2" speakers on a blowout years ago, and will probably use one of them to make a small combo. I've purchased some burlap to cover the cabinet with (like a potato sack). I'll probably just drill a couple holes in the "wings" that are left on the sides of the pan to screw it to the cab. If you have pics of your project, feel free to share them! I'm not territorial about my posts, so have at it. I don't know when I'll get the cabinet done, as I've taken on a project that will keep me busy for a while, but in the meantime, here's how it looks for the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Looking good! I'm jealous of the CNC... I also bought, probably the same, eminance speakers on super sale from tubedepot but haven't gotten around to using them.

First time I tried the tilt thing, I went off of a schematic instead of drawing a layout and got massively confused. Not sure if my drawing is the best way to do it, but maybe it saves someone a headache.
boneray.jpeg
boneray example.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lynxtrap

Post by Lynxtrap »

Cool project! :D
Also, thanks for the burlap idea! I will try that for my ongoing "micro" amp (from the "3 gain stages" thread here).
I have some old coffee bean sacks to use. Perhaps put some laquer on the cover for durability?
"Hey mister, turn it on, turn it up, turn me loose!"
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Yeah, that's my plan is a quick protective coat of lacquer on the main cab. Will probably leave the grill cloth naked, though.