wire gauge on builds

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

benoit

Re: wire gauge on builds

Post by benoit »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:www.weicowire.com might be a teeny bit more than apex, but it's new wire not surplus. allied cable is another good place for cable (NOT allied electronics) www.awcwire.com

I use a combination of 20AWG solid and stranded, 18AWG solid on power tube heaters, 20AWG solid on preamp heaters. there is no real reason to use anything bigger
What do you use stranded for? I'm leaning towards mostly solid, both because it'll stay in place and because I don't like the stripping/twisting/tinning process overmuch but I'd like to hear rationale for using stranded.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Stranded PTFE doesn't move around like stranded PVC, and when the jacket comes off it's already twisted, just tin the very tip real quick- I use it for long runs that are not bound to anything else (Like power tube grids) because it doesn't vibrate against the chassis like solid. BTW, I just ordered from AWC wire 600v PTFE is $.22/ft 1000v is $.26/ft.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
FE911

Wire temp?

Post by FE911 »

A couple of questions about hook-up wire.

I've got quite a few spools of wire that I have picked up for my projects. One is test lead wire(1000ft.). It is silver plated (or just tinned)18awg wire with a strange rubber outer coating, over pvc. It is rated at 5000 volts(very thick outer), but it is only rated for -20-60 degrees c. It seems to be for outdoor use. My question is, Is the temp rating too low for the inside of the chassis? I've got plenty of other good wire, so I don't have to use it.
Second question. What the hell do you do with 24 guage wire. I've got about 30-1000' spools that I don't know what to do with. One of those craigslist deals where I had to buy all the wire, or nothing.
Firestorm

Re: Wire temp?

Post by Firestorm »

FE911 wrote:A couple of questions about hook-up wire.

I've got quite a few spools of wire that I have picked up for my projects. One is test lead wire(1000ft.). It is silver plated (or just tinned)18awg wire with a strange rubber outer coating, over pvc. It is rated at 5000 volts(very thick outer), but it is only rated for -20-60 degrees c. It seems to be for outdoor use. My question is, Is the temp rating too low for the inside of the chassis? I've got plenty of other good wire, so I don't have to use it.
Second question. What the hell do you do with 24 guage wire. I've got about 30-1000' spools that I don't know what to do with. One of those craigslist deals where I had to buy all the wire, or nothing.
As to the test lead wire, that's really designed for a pretty specifc application -- high-voltage test probes. I suppose you could use it in a Marshall/Trainwreck/Hiwatt/Sound City type chassis (where the tubes are on top) -- internal temps probably don't get over 60c. BUT the insulation probably really is rubber and it will deteriorate with age, get brittle and crack. I'd eBay it.
24-gauge wire can deal with about 1.5 amps, so you could use anywhere there's low current (AC signal wires and so on). But I would think it would be a huge pain to work with. I have a batch of 22-gauge Belden wire that I got by a similar "accident" and IT'S a pain to work with.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I initially used quite a bit of solid core wire in a build but due to frequent chassis access and tweaking I found it would break if bent to many times.
Now I only used stranded teflon 20 ga on most runs.
The exception was the heater wires where I used solid because it twists easier. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
angelodp

Stranded PTFE

Post by angelodp »

Where do you get stranded PTFE
nickt

Re: Stranded PTFE

Post by nickt »

angelodp wrote:Where do you get stranded PTFE
www.apexjr.com
benoit

Post by benoit »

Has anyone ever bought a 5-spool pack from mouser? I'm guessing that'd probably be a little overkill for someone like me as they're 100 footers. There can't be more than 5 feet of any given color in a givin amp can there? How much is enough for the next 4 to 5?
Structo

Post by Structo »

15-20 feet should get you there.
But if you plan on building more down the road and you find a good price on the spools, why not get those?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
rms

Post by rms »

This where I buy all my wire. www.powerwerx.com. Really good prices. They have 10 colors.

I use 18ga to the last power tube and 20 ga from last power tube to PI. 22 ga from there.[/url]