Gravity Picks

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

exocet

Re: Gravity Picks

Post by exocet »

thejaf wrote:I played Fender heavy for 20 years, but last year tried the Dunlop Ultex and will never look back. For whatever reason, they have a much higher amount of amplified volume and bring out more nuances than any other picks I've tried. Every other pick sounds dull, quiet, and lifeless compared to the Ultex. Heck, I even made a few brass picks from a cracked cymbal, and the Ultex is even louder than those.
I've favoured thicker picks for 30 years after a friend of mine introduced me to a brand called Eros. They are very similar in size / shape to Dunlop 2 mm stubby (small).

The big difference is that they are made of Bakelite! They are 'harder' than the dunlop stubby and give a brighter tone.

They are terrible to play for the first few weeks but once they wear, they develop a profiled edge that delivers a great range of tones and control.

Unfortunately they are not made anymore, I originally bought 50 and am down to the last few.

I've now moved onto V Picks but do agree about the comments on 'chirping' and 'clicking'.

From what I've read about gravity picks, I'm going to give them a go when they appear this side of the pond.

In the meantime if anyone spots some of these on their travels, let me know because I'm still looking.

[IMG:640:426]http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab27 ... edited.jpg[/img]
Structo

Post by Structo »

Cool looking pick.
What is it at least 4mm?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
exocet

Post by exocet »

Structo wrote:Cool looking pick.
What is it at least 4mm?
Actually it's only a smidgen over 2mm.

Absolutely no 'give' in it at all.

That's an unused one. the sharp end rounds off over time......I'll have to keep that one in a glass case!!

I tell you Bakelite is a great material for picks.........is it poisonous????
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Me and the grandkids are making guitar pick necklaces do you want to buy some :lol:

Mark
Bob S

Picks

Post by Bob S »

Check out Fidis Custom Picks. Hardwood and thickness of your choice.
They are hand made, so the shape can vary.
I use a craft knife to score the grip area & shape to suit.
I like them.
They don't last forever - especially if the dog finds one.
Why Aye Man
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

I am probably the worst pick fetishist on the planet. I take large, thick 1.00 mm Claytons and file one point to a finer point. I like to actually "flick" the string as I pick, especially on the up strokes - so I make it like an arrow point.

Then - so as not to drop them, I take a thinner pick with a hole in it (for better grip) and I super-glue it to the thicker pick - but facing the opposite direction.

This way, I have plenty of pick to hold onto (I drop my pick a few times every year). I also have the option of flipping the pick around if I want a thin pick for straight strumming rather than lead.

Finally, on the side without the grip hole I glue on a very fine piece if sand-paper to improve the grip even more. Unlike Resin, it does not stick to your hand (although it can make it a little sore until some of the sand wears off).

If you want to see something interesting - go to the patent office web site and look up guitar picks. There is everything imaginable in there.
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

I was turned onto these picks from my old guitar instructor.

http://www.coolmusicinc.com/index.html

The Cool Stealth pick is the best pick that I have ever found for my playing style. I highly recommend trying them. I have not tried all their other models.

Todd
Structo

Post by Structo »

Those are interesting as well Todd.

Do you have an online source for them?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

Hey Tom

They are actually one of the only reasons I can find to stop by this small guitar store local to me. I have never seen them anywhere else.

Maybe check the website to see if you have a local dealer or a dealer that sells them online.

Todd
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I tried the Juratex Cool pics. They are a little clacky for my liking and the pick also feels too grippy as well. I hold the pick between thumb and index finger when picking with it and then I slide it and pinch it between the middle knuckles of my index and middle fingers when picking with my fingers. I move it back and forth quite alot and the Juratex is to grippy and keeps getting caught up during that motion. I also don't like the picks that are too grippy when I am doing quick funk type strumming.

What I do like about the Juratex pick is that it releases from the string very quickly and smoothly.

I am waiting on my Gravity pick samples to arrive in the mail.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

T Wilcox wrote:Hey Tom

They are actually one of the only reasons I can find to stop by this small guitar store local to me. I have never seen them anywhere else.

Maybe check the website to see if you have a local dealer or a dealer that sells them online.

Todd
If you scroll down a bit ont he page there is a "dealers" link. unfortunately its not exactly "updated" but you might get lucky.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I received two samples today from Chris at Gravity. One 1.5mm and one 3mm - both minis. The mini is about the size of the Dunlop Jazz III pick that I prefer. Tom - thanks for the heads up about Gravity.

Both picks have a nice solid feel to them. The material has a nice grippy feel. Not too slippery and not too sticky for my taste. I prefer the 1.5mm thickness. I have never really liked an 'extra' thick pick made by any manufacturer. 3mm is too thick for me. The Gravity has a more rounded shape at the point compared to the Jazz III. I like the sharper point of the Jazz III, but this is a small difference for me and I'm sure I could get used to the Gravity.

The acrylic material is solid and made very cleanly. No scratches, ratty edges, etc... In use, the pick can be made to strike the string very noiselessly compared to other picks that cannot. At least by me. The material also releases from the string very smoothly, something that not all picks do.

As a comparison point, I used the Gravity pick and the Jazz III with the same 'normal' picking technique. The Gravity creates a rounder less snappy sound than the Jazz III. I can see why Tom likes the Gravity pick. It does feel good. But, I can get more variation of pick attack with the Jazz III than the Gravity. The Gravity seems to allow you to do one thing, while I can get a wider variation of sounds with the Jazz III - snappy to mellow.

I could definitely use the Gravity and be relatively happy. It is one of the better picks that I have used. But I prefer the Jazz III for the palette of sounds it allows me. After factoring in the ~10x price increase of the Gravity, I will stick with the Jazz III. I just don't see a price/performance advantage in the Gravity pick. Just my opinion.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I recieved my sample of Gravity Picks last night I was pleased to see they are based out of California, It's nice to support a USA business for a change. The sample included one of each style and size pick. I'm going to give each one an honest test drive and report back.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Espjr215

Post by Espjr215 »

Tom, Portland Music carries them at least at the MLK store. I've got the cat tongues and a couple of the other ones.

edit-Carries the cool branded pics.....sorry
Last edited by Espjr215 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a newbie looking for that perfect sound...
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Sorry Structo, Wegen is correct. Don't know what I was thinking.