Purchased completely gone-through '72 Traynor YBA-1 - DOA

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

CherryFive

Re: Purchased completely gone-through '72 Traynor YBA-1 - DOA

Post by CherryFive »

Teleguy61 wrote:I'm glad the guy was sweet to talk to, but he didn't offer to give you the parts he replaced.
but as drew pointed out, the auction was for what was in the sale, not parts he took out right? I sell things I part out all the time on ebay. i don't expect the customer to get those items too!

EDIT - I don't think it was so much that he was nice on the phone, he just seemed really disappointed in the fact that his work didn't hold up. Believe me, I could care less if a person is nice, I just want them to sell me stuff lol. But he really seemed like a person who was mildly embarrassed and concerned and offered to foot the technicians bill (as the case is opened).

I feel that if my guy Larry can get it up and running it will be good. Larry's fixed my amps and some of my friend's amps and they're still working today. If the amp turns out to be a major re-wire, then hey, the seller says he'll foot the bill!
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Richie wrote:CherryFive
But I doubt a miswire!
Sometimes I wonder why I bother posting. The pic I posted previously shows exactly one spot it is miswired. Mostly I was trying to help,by pointing that out. Maybe when the amp is fixed, post the pics of it after to compare it to.
Point it out to Larry & show him the picture when you drop it off. In fact email him a copy. That's a major clue, don't let Richie's observation go to waste.

Ask him to put those controls in your guitar too.

$70 to put a couple controls in whether vol/tone or vol/vol takes the same amount of time. A store generally has to charge a lot - overhead is a killer - costs a fortune just to keep the door open.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Structo

Post by Structo »

If indeed the amp is miswired, how could it work good as the seller said before he shipped it?

Did the wires desolder themselves and move to other eyelets and soldered themselves?

Smells like Denmark to me.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

Structo wrote:If indeed the amp is miswired, how could it work good as the seller said before he shipped it?

Did the wires desolder themselves and move to other eyelets and soldered themselves?

I think that's what several of us are trying to say.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Structo wrote:If indeed the amp is miswired, how could it work good as the seller said before he shipped it?

Sometimes the "QC" is "do it make noise? Yes. Ship it."

Also no guarantee Tennessee Tuxedo removed those mustards etc. He may have taken on a basket case and done the best he could with it.

Looking forward to tech Larry's conclusions.

Denmark smells OK to me. But I grew up in New Jersey. :razz: After that everything smells good.
rp

Post by rp »

One last one from me to the OP: people on TAG are really sharp and (sharp eyed!) and experienced. You know that phrase, "you want me to paint you a picture?" bcmatt and Richie pretty much gave you a PowerPoint presentation with circles and arrows. I smelled something too but was pulling my punches.

The output jack shorts one of the secs to ground, you can see it. Without spending time w/ the schematic the power string could have a 'working' mis-wire, like a cap branching in parallel instead of in series, not good, but it could have played when he tested it. If he's telling the truth, he might have rewired the output after he tested it thinking he originally had it wrong and never re-checked.

I repeat what I said, every part and connection must be checked along with the voltages. $600? I would have sent it back.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Depends on what the miswire is or how it effects things, or if it works as in makes sound or not etc..

There were many "versions" of this amp. Circuit changes or upgrades, revision or whatever label you want to call them. And I believe your amp circuit is this one that matches having that 3.3m resistor,and cathode resistors without bypass caps etc.. and the PI values.

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schema ... ion_2.html

I'm sure your tech guy will trace this all out,
As Leo,rp,and others mentioned, your tech will just have to go though it,and make sure things are correct. Resistor values etc..

Its too hard to tell from the pic the resistor colors. But he should double check the 68k and 6.8k

And if you have worked on amps long enough, nothing is suprising. One can only assume. Many amps may leave working,and end up doa for some crazy reason.
A small blob of solder or fine strand of wire may have flopped around and got between something it shouldn't have and cause a problem.
So I would not say the guy was lying when he said it worked when he shipped it. ANYTHING can happen.

Sometimes amps like fenders or marshalls may leave the factory without having solder on tube pins, to having wrong value resistors in places.And may also work for years,untill found when serviced.
Traynor may may have made the miswire,and not the rebuild guy. Who knows. But again, i'm sure it can be lined out very easy. At least he is willing to work with you to get it right.

Post a follow up when it comes back.
briane

Post by briane »

But for complex things like customizing an amp's voice?
if he cant do that hes not much of a tech. sit down with a player for 2 hours, swap parts with a schemo in hand - I wouldnt ever take anything to this guy even if he can fix 'simple sh*t'.

70$ for a guitar rewire - thats cheap, I charge 80 - and the implication that it should be cheaper cause you dont want a tone pot is insulting to all techs I think. The rice is 80 + parts - what you want thrown in there has absolutely no bearing on the work a hand.

This seems like a lot of worry for simple sh*t a 20% tech could be done with in 10 minutes.

hire someone dammit. Just tryiing to give advice, and its clear you need some STRONG direction. not tryiing to nit pick - but some read and clear thinking is obviously in order.

again - get a dang tech.

get a tech.

get a tech. in case you didnt hear.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Richie wrote:CherryFive
But I doubt a miswire!
Sometimes I wonder why I bother posting. The pic I posted previously shows exactly one spot it is miswired. Mostly I was trying to help,by pointing that out. Maybe when the amp is fixed, post the pics of it after to compare it to.
But the amp would still work .....with that misswire. It might have no filtering ..so that's not why there is no sound......it does mean that there may be more mistakes in there tho....
Just move that wire....a tech would fix this in the time you type another post.

Edited ...because I have a crap phone...
:lol:
Last edited by Cameron on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

briane wrote:
But for complex things like customizing an amp's voice?
if he cant do that hes not much of a tech. sit down with a player for 2 hours, swap parts with a schemo in hand - I wouldnt ever take anything to this guy even if he can fix 'simple sh*t'.

70$ for a guitar rewire - thats cheap, I charge 80 - and the implication that it should be cheaper cause you dont want a tone pot is insulting to all techs I think. The rice is 80 + parts - what you want thrown in there has absolutely no bearing on the work a hand.

This seems like a lot of worry for simple sh*t a 20% tech could be done with in 10 minutes.

hire someone dammit. Just tryiing to give advice, and its clear you need some STRONG direction. not tryiing to nit pick - but some read and clear thinking is obviously in order.

again - get a dang tech.

get a tech.

get a tech. in case you didnt hear.
This !!!!!^^^^^^
CherryFive

Post by CherryFive »

You think it's seriously fair to charge 70 bucks to wire this simple thing? I've literally prepped the thing, built the new control panel, can supply plenty of awesome 70s CTS pots and jacks. 70 bucks is out of control for these simple two volume controls. I'd rather never play bass again than pay 70 for some guy to wire it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CherryFive on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CherryFive

Post by CherryFive »

BTW here are some schematic pictures I took of what came with my amp. I'll be sure to keep all updated about this beauty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

CherryFive wrote:BTW here are some schematic pictures I took of what came with my amp.
Schemo shows screen grid supply as a parallel not the usual series system. Ampeg did this in some of their big amps too. Why? maybe they wanted a stiffer DC at the screen grids. I don't see a whole lot of advantage, otoh if that's the way Traynor did it, you can leave it that way or mod it for a series type supply. If anything, series would pull down the SG voltage a little, make life just a tiny bit easier for the output tubes.

I'll be taking a little holiday from this matter; there's a 70's Traynor YBA1 of some sort just came in and clamoring for attention. :) No Tennessee postmark on this one.
CherryFive

Post by CherryFive »

no kidding! wow! I'd be curious to see pics and updates about your story!
BTW- the language you guys use is somewhat over my head and I'm in such a stressed out point in my life I don't have time to learn how to read schematics. but I decided when I get into my 30s I'm figuring this out, starting with amp kits and stuff. but you guys are definitely brilliant here. sound quality is the most important thing in my life at any given time
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »