Laydown PT -> Standup PT

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

benoit

Laydown PT -> Standup PT

Post by benoit »

I have a couple of transformers and a chassis just perfect for them, except that real estate's in short supply and both PT and OT are laydown. I'm wondering if there's any harm in flipping them on their side and attatching them with L brackets. I can't see why this would matter, except that the bolts that go through the transfomer don't seem like they'd come out easy. Here are pictures. Is it safe to temporarily remove the bolts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
j-po

Re: Laydown PT -> Standup PT

Post by j-po »

Sure, the transformer is not going to fall apart with the screws removed as long as you don't apply excessive force.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

You will surprise yourself at how easy those bolts come out. I've done the opppsite and have layed a trasnformer on it's side.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ben I used JTM 45 tranny set for my Root 666 build and just went to Menards and picked up small L brackets. Worked out well but it sits off the chassis a bit because I didn't want to drill new holes in the brackets.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

If it's a heyboer or MM or whatever, you could buy standup bells & feet
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

SAVE BIG MONEY AT MENARDS

[img:271:350]http://archive.perfectduluthday.com/hel ... ds_guy.jpg[/img]
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

If I had thought about L brackets, I probably would not have done it this way:
http://home.comcast.net/~psymonds/JTM45.htm
Cover the exposed wire and use rubber gromments where it passes through the chassis.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I suppose if you don't have room to cut holes for the laydown, then that is a good alternative.

Hey Phil, did you know your circuit board is crooked? :lol:

What is the chassis? An electrical breaker box or similar?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
benoit

Post by benoit »

dartanion wrote:SAVE BIG MONEY AT MY NARDS

[img:271:350]http://archive.perfectduluthday.com/hel ... ds_guy.jpg[/img]
So close, Dart, but I've edited your post with the correct lyrics, according to me and my buddies when we were in 2nd grade.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
benoit

Post by benoit »

Thanks for the replies, all! I couldn't see anything wrong with it but experience has taught me that my not seeing a problem doesn't mean there's no problem just waiting to bite me where the sun don't shine.
Phil_S wrote:If I had thought about L brackets, I probably would not have done it this way:
I thought of that way but it bothered me to give the tranny a longer lever arm to bend the bolts. It probably is fine, esp if using metal standoffs but I think I'll go the L bracket route.
Structo wrote:I suppose if you don't have room to cut holes for the laydown, then that is a good alternative.

The chassis is a 13x5x3 chassis I picked up at school. Housed a power supply for a tube radio. I also got with it a 36V transformer, a 6.3V @ 1.5A transformer, and a 10H choke, as well as a reaally nice solid rotary switch. Very few big holes in it so I can do just about whatever I want layout wise. I'm going to do it like a 5e3 with the tubes coming out one 3x13 side and controls mounted on the other.

The trannies I'm using are from an old baldwin orgasonic that ran 2xel84 and 4-5 12ax7. I may actually buy a real chassis from mfowler to give me more real estate to play with too. I'm thinking either an 18watt or 1/2 power rocket or ac30 or something. Gotta figure it out quick, only got 3 weeks before school starts again and I have exactly zero free time.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ben inaddition to the Turretboards.com chassis, Hammond, and Bud.

I have two Weber chassis as well for Tweed type builds if your going with 6V6 instead of EL84s but they cost me $50.

Mark
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hi Tom,
Structo wrote:I suppose if you don't have room to cut holes for the laydown, then that is a good alternative.
The nylon standoffs work very well. Those trannies are quite stable. The wires exit from the bottom, so end bell is butted up against the chassis and really bears most of the weight. It's a steel chassis and is plenty strong -- no flex from the weight.
Hey Phil, did you know your circuit board is crooked? :lol:
Yeah...that is a common reaction to this particular build. See below.
I built that amp at least two, maybe four years ago. My best recollection is that the chassis came from some other amp, probably an organ. I bought it on eBay and there were probably good parts to harvest. I wish I had taken a picture, as memory fails me.

Anyway, there were lots of holes to close up and others to try to use where they existed. For that reason, for example, the amp is fitted with EL34's. The sockets fit those holes but are too close together for fat bottle KT-66. This brings us the the crooked board, which is positioned crooked as a compromise involving some decisions around existing holes and what I put in them. I think the choke is Heathkit, and the PT and OT come from an Arkay FL30, which has a pair of EL34's. Regarding the PT and OT, I got the FL30 schematic (Sams) from the public library, which was really a boost because then I was pretty darn sure of what they really are. So, there you have it.

BTW, this amp is probably the one I consider my favorite. It just turned out as a great amp. My only problem with it is that it's too loud to play when anyone is home. For that reason, it doesn't get played much. Sometimes, when it's just the dog and me, I'll pull it out and dime it. I put the speaker cab in the living room and I stand in my office/studio (adjacent room). The windows shake. I'm sure the neighbors can hear it.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Phil that worked well using the nylon stand-offs. The Hammond organ I got this fall has a chassis that goes across the entire back so about 40 some inches. Will have to cut that into three chassis. Plus it has the power supply as well.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes, those Hammond chassis are huge!

I cut the one I had down to a shorter length.
The problem I had with mine was it was kind of narrow in width, so lead dress was a challenge.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

M Fowler wrote:Phil that worked well using the nylon stand-offs. The Hammond organ I got this fall has a chassis that goes across the entire back so about 40 some inches. Will have to cut that into three chassis. Plus it has the power supply as well.
Thanks, but this is a perfect example of what one does when one doesn't know much. Let's say I got lucky.