Mallory 150's, white vs yellow?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

iknowjohnny

Mallory 150's, white vs yellow?

Post by iknowjohnny »

i know, stupid question. But i have seen labels change on various products and noticed the product has also changed so many times in my life i just want to be sure before i order a load of these. I noticed they look longer and thinner too. Are the white ones exactly the same cap or has anyone noted any sonic difference?
Andy Le Blanc

Re: Mallory 150's, white vs yellow?

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Get a few of each and give them a listen. The signal path is the place to
invest, and coupling caps are the best component to invest in.

Check out the caps here: www.partsconnexion.com

you DO NOT have to make do with mallory, might as well use xicon, nichicon.

Give your self a small test bed to listen, Its the only way to really judge.
All recommendations are highly subjective, I love oil/foil caps, but you don't have too.
lazymaryamps
iknowjohnny

Post by iknowjohnny »

What i meant to say is i already use and like the 150's, but i just want to know if they changed at all with the new wrapper and shape.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

hard tell'in, not know'in, your gonna have to try them and decide.
Unless someone chimes in with a "there awesome" or "they suck".

You couldn't pay me to bother, I use a wide variety for repair.

But I use accepted high quality caps such as jensen, multicap, audionote and hovland,
in my personal gear, makes all the difference.
lazymaryamps
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

i was just looking threw www.partsconnexion.com they have a pretty nice selection but kind of expensive.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Invest in your signal path....... or don't, 630v 0.022uF nichicon $ 0.20 USD each.

fender uses xicon..... same price, and your gonna let some poor smoe
buy a 10 cent cap for 600% the wholesale plus shipping?

You can do better....... :roll:
lazymaryamps
David Root

Post by David Root »

With NOS coupling caps you can tell how they are currently valued in the marketplace by their price. From what I've seen the paper in oil caps with aluminum barrel and sealed glass endcaps (Vitamin Q, Sprague, Westcap, etc) command the highest prices. Mylar/paper types like CDE Black Cats, Sprague Black Beauties are getting close. These types seldom leak DC even if they're 40 years old.

Having said that, Andy is right about putting some money in your coupling caps. Check 'em out.

New high end (read: for the hi-fi market) coupling caps can be a different matter IMO. Black Gates are very good and still available, I use them a lot, and the names that Andy quotes too.

There are some out there that I cannot see ever using in an MI amp, prices are crazy and they are way too big to fit in any normal (to us) board arrangement.

There is a lot of hype and ethereal BS in the Hi-Fi market, floating on a field of marshmallows is a statement of fact compared to some of the horses**t I've seen.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

"All recommendations are highly subjective, I love oil/foil caps, but you don't have too."

"There are some out there that I cannot see ever using in an MI amp, prices are crazy and they are way too big to fit in any normal (to us) board arrangement.

There is a lot of hype and ethereal BS in the Hi-Fi market, floating on a field of marshmallows is a statement of fact compared to some of the horses**t I've seen."

Its the same in all markets...... get some caps, even take risk with different caps.

Give them a listen.
lazymaryamps
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Andy- i agree you get increased tone for your $
I was in a hurry, I guess my post didn't come across right, it wasn't about the quality of the parts they offer just that the actual item cost was about 15% higher then distrubutors.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Jana

Post by Jana »

I like Sozo Vintage. I also like balsamic vinegar on my salad. :)
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

no worries.... your right... Its nice to have the selection.

What other distribution resources have you found for the same products?

vinaigrette.... oh geez
lazymaryamps
flood

Post by flood »

i have no access to mallorys, orange drops, audio note, jensen et al here and the latter set are simply way too expensive for me.

when i was in germany i picked up a ton of coupling caps very cheap. mostly ERO FKP, KP and some WIMA KPs and MKPs too. so far, they sound pretty good to my ears. i don't really have a reference though.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.
Bob Reinhardt

Post by Bob Reinhardt »

to your original question, as far as i can tell, the white 150's and the yellow 150s sound the same.
And some people like the 150's tone. more expensive doesnt always + better tone.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

My experience with Many different brands and types of coupling caps has been very subtle. Changing caps has never colored an amplifier the way that a speaker change can for example. Pre-amp tubes are another component that has a much larger affect on tone than caps do.
As far as caps costing 20 cents or 10 dollars, expensive materials and time consuming assembly procedures do not equate with better tone. Expensive caps just cost more, whether oil or plastic gets in the way of electron flow does not matter. All that matters is how caps sound to your ears and fingers.
I hate to think there will now be a premium, vintage, yellow sounds better than white phenomenon associated with Mallory 150's
Good Luck
Jana

Post by Jana »

But, yellow just has to have more tone! That's why the Sozo caps sound so good--they are yellow! Duh!