Best rectifier tube/cap can to use with Moose's TW trannys?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Normster

Best rectifier tube/cap can to use with Moose's TW trannys?

Post by Normster »

I'm planning a build using Moose's TW tranny set w/tube rectifier. Ultimately what I'm going for is TW articulation (especially cleans), a bit of sag, and a bit more preamp distortion available ala Dumble. Probably EL34 but being able to swap in 6V6's is a nice option.

Anyway, coming off the 300V taps I thought I'd use a Ruby 5AR4 and filter the first stage using a JJ 32/32 500V cap can. Does this sound reasonable or will I need more/less filtering?

BTW, the only reason for the cap can is purely aesthetic. I'm using a 100W Dumble chassis for the build and it'll plug the extra tube hole. :lol:
David Root

5AR4 first filter cap

Post by David Root »

It's August now, but I see no-one else has addressed your question.

"Conventional wisdom" (i.e. those old dudes that designed the 5AR4 back when dirt was rocks) is that you should not hit a 5AR4 with more than about 60 mF from the first filter cap it sees, so 32+32 should be OK. After the choke/resistor immediately following, you can put in 100mF if you like really tight screen control, it's the first cap that counts.

I have 100 mF on the first cap in my current design, but it's two 5AR4s in parallel, so it doesn't violate the 60 mF each rule. It works fine!