Pedal Board Cable Systems

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ER

Re: Pedal Board Cable Systems

Post by ER »

I like the bill lawrence stuff, the short connectors are great for a board.

I read in another post that you're using the G-major, have you tried using the internal switching to control your amp functions? One less thing to run back to the amp and don't they have a built in tuner? Something I'd like to try in the future....

you may also try cat 5, just to try it for a snake, that's what I use for all my hi-fi stuff.

-E
Structo

Post by Structo »

tooold wrote:
Structo wrote: Yes, my other concern was how good is the cable used in the pre-made snakes.
I realized how much of an improvement I achieved when I went to higher end guitar cables with the clarity and top end I didn't know I was missing.
That was what I was wondering about using the snake cable.
What the specs are capacitance wise and impedance.

I looked at some Canare and Gepco cables and they seemed to be fairly low in capacitance.
Structo, I wired my studio with multi-core AES/EBU cable. Very low capacitance, high quality cable, rated for digital but great for analog. Because it has to conform to the standard, it's a good way to know what you're getting regardless of the manufacturer. It's also not very big in diameter, and is available with a flexible jacket.
I'm not familiar with that.
I looked around at AES and didn't see anything like that.
Can you help me find it?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Structo wrote: ... I was wondering if any of you had made a snake for your pedal boards...
I have bundled my individual cables and used snake cables. Bundling just leaves a little to be desired in flexibility. Snake cable can be bought with whatever number of channels you need. It is flexible and easy to work with. I have used 1/4" plugs for signal and standard DC connectors for power. I have run 9 and 12 volts to the board, and need to add 18V for a Pigtronix compressor. I just hate running mains power to the board, for some reason. None of my snakes has been over 20'. The current one is about 15'. The first one I built had EDAC/ELCO multi-pin connectors on each end for quick/easy connection. They're a pain to wire, but a delight to use. I ran signal and power through those, as well, and had no problems. I think I used Belden cable and really enjoyed how it simplified my set up and tear down for weekly gigs. It's a cool project even for a stationary set up. I highly recommend it.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
tooold

Post by tooold »

Structo wrote:
tooold wrote:
Structo wrote: Yes, my other concern was how good is the cable used in the pre-made snakes.
I realized how much of an improvement I achieved when I went to higher end guitar cables with the clarity and top end I didn't know I was missing.
That was what I was wondering about using the snake cable.
What the specs are capacitance wise and impedance.

I looked at some Canare and Gepco cables and they seemed to be fairly low in capacitance.
Structo, I wired my studio with multi-core AES/EBU cable. Very low capacitance, high quality cable, rated for digital but great for analog. Because it has to conform to the standard, it's a good way to know what you're getting regardless of the manufacturer. It's also not very big in diameter, and is available with a flexible jacket.
I'm not familiar with that.
I looked around at AES and didn't see anything like that.
Can you help me find it?
Here you go, Tom - from Redco:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=527

If you shop around, you can get the price down. Belden will probably be cheaper.

http://www.mylescochran.com
Structo

Post by Structo »

Holy crap!
$5 / ft

That is some spendy cable.
I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Redco over the years mostly because I was able to get everything I needed for cable making at one place.
Thanks for the clarification about the cable, now I will see if I can find it somewhere else. :D
Tom

tooold

Post by tooold »

You should definitely be able to find it cheaper. Remember, though, that's 12 cables in there!

Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes I realize that, I would probably go with the 3163 8 channel cable.

$3.23 at Redco.
Tom

tooold

Post by tooold »

I was just looking around for some alternatives without much luck, having a bit of sticker shock, and I think I know why - the last time I bought a bunch of this stuff, it was 2002 - before the big jump in the price of copper. Obviously, it's not the only thing the cable is made of, but it's a big part. Ouch.

Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes, wire has definitely increased in price across the board.

Maybe China is buying boat loads of it driving the price up. :?
Tom

Deric

Post by Deric »

I made one of these a few years back. Worked great: 1 line from pedal board to amp input, 2 lines for FX send/return, 2 lines for power supplies (I was using both 9vdc and 12vdc on the board) and one TRS plug for my amp footswitch. Made set-up a breeze.

Unfortunately, I change amps/pedals too much (when will I ever learn???).

Tom, If you're interested, I have ~13' of unused 6 pair cable left and/or the snake in the pic (~15' with Switchcraft ends) I'd let go for cheap. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deric®
Structo

Post by Structo »

Nice looking board Deric!
I have a couple of the same pedals but you have way more than I.
Love the Swirly ones!

I see you have a Timmy, how do you like that?

I'm not sure that 13' would be long enough.
Of course in my amp room it would be but if I ever play out again it probably wouldn't be not sure.

I'll PM you.
Tom

doveman

Post by doveman »

Deric wrote:1 line from pedal board to amp input, 2 lines for FX send/return, 2 lines for power supplies (I was using both 9vdc and 12vdc on the board) and one TRS plug for my amp footswitch. Made set-up a breeze. .... or the snake in the pic (~15' with Switchcraft ends) I'd let go for cheap. 8)
If I could use to 9v sends (I like to split the loop and pre-amp power) I might be interested. If Tom's not ...

I'll send a PM.
dgodoy

Zack Electroncis

Post by dgodoy »

tooold wrote:
TheHandsomeOrk wrote:So where does one purchase snake cable to make a pedal board loom.
I searched but couldn't come up with anything. Searched hairyandy's site but no mention of snakes.
thanks
Any good recording studio supply company will have bulk multi-core cable in a zillion configurations, with different shielding and insulation, along with number of cables.

If you're in the UK, Studiospares or Canford Audio. In the US, look for a Mogami or Belden dealer.

Here you go:

http://www.zackelectronics.com/product. ... duct=13433
I've ordered from Zack Electronics plenty of times and they always have the cables I need available and in-stock.

By far the best company that stocks Belden spools and such.

I tried to go to that link that was posted but they upgraded their website and it no longer works. The new link is: http://zackelectronics.com/gold-rca-fee ... nsert.html

Has anyone else ordered from this store? Maybe I can contact them and get a group buy going for some of the parts we order on the regular.
rocketeer

Post by rocketeer »

Here's a picture of my Gepco snake for my rig after about 5 years of hard use. The jacked has tightened around the internal cables and then twisted. I very carefully figure 8 ALL of my cables and the Gebco cable is what you see. Some of my other Canare cables I have are 15 years old and going strong.

If you look in the middle of the picture you can see my new Mogami snake. MUCH more pliable jacket material.

I would also highly suggest buffering your audio sends back to your rig. Snake cables are meant for low impedance mic/line use and will suck all the high end out of your signal. I use the MI Electronics Boost-n-Buff and I believe it's as transparent as can be. I use it for both my guitar signal send and my volume pedal return. (I use a volume pedal between my preamp and power stage so there is a send and return in the snake.)

I send down the snake:
Guitar send to amp
Volume pedal return and send
Midi with 9v ac power to a Ground Control
9v dc power for custom Dual Wampler Compressor and also a Clyde wah

No noise...no hum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.