Pedal Board Cable Systems

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Pedal Board Cable Systems

Post by Structo »

Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you had made a snake for your pedal boards.

You know, an integrated cable system where all the to and from audio connections plus any pedal power is ran in one bulk multi channel cable?

I won't use the trade name because apparently the company that makes the modular system that uses the pigtail type connectors has the name trade marked an actively patrols forums for people using that name.

To set up a 18 ft snake from that company it would be around $90.

I think I can make my own for around $60 or so depending of course on how much per ft. the bulk cabling is along with the 1/4" plugs.

For example, on my amp and pedal board, I have the two cables to and from my Dumbleator, the cable from my guitar to tuner, then from that to the front input.
And a One Spot pedal power supply with the daisy chain power distribution to three or four pedals I use in the FX loop.

I would buy some bulk 4 channel cable then use three pairs for the audio back and forth and the fourth pair for the pedal power.
That way you could have one cable going from your board to your amp plus be able to keep the pedal power supply back behind the amp into the power conditioner.

I was thinking a 20 ft piece of 4 channel snake cable would work fine.

My question if you have done this is which brand of cable did you use and I guess the main question would be how well does the cable perform for the guitar into the front input?

A couple years ago I stepped up and bought a couple nice cables from Lava Cable and was pleasantly surprised at the clarity of tone I got.
Most likely due to the low capacitance of the new cable compared to my old generic cables.
Anyway, just wondering if anybody has done this.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Bob Simpson

Re: Pedal Board Cable Systems

Post by Bob Simpson »

Hi Tom.

I've made one.

I used db25 connectors at the pedalboard, and a fanout at the amp.
Lots of heat shrink...

When you order your cable, if you need 4 shielded pairs, maybe think about getting one with 6... Just in case a pair or two go bad...

Bob Simpson
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Look to hairyandy for snakes....no comment beyond that
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I use a standard 8 channel snake, nothing special. Plenty of wires for the loop, pedals, tuner sitting on my amps and 2 spares JIC.
TheHandsomeOrk

Post by TheHandsomeOrk »

So where does one purchase snake cable to make a pedal board loom.
I searched but couldn't come up with anything. Searched hairyandy's site but no mention of snakes.
thanks
tooold

Post by tooold »

TheHandsomeOrk wrote:So where does one purchase snake cable to make a pedal board loom.
I searched but couldn't come up with anything. Searched hairyandy's site but no mention of snakes.
thanks
Any good recording studio supply company will have bulk multi-core cable in a zillion configurations, with different shielding and insulation, along with number of cables.

If you're in the UK, Studiospares or Canford Audio. In the US, look for a Mogami or Belden dealer.

Here you go:

http://www.zackelectronics.com/product. ... duct=13433

http://www.mylescochran.com
Structo

Post by Structo »

TheHandsomeOrk wrote:So where does one purchase snake cable to make a pedal board loom.
thanks
You want bulk snake cable.

Redco is a good place to buy cable supplies.

http://www.redco.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp
Tom

Structo

Post by Structo »

Bob-I wrote:I use a standard 8 channel snake, nothing special. Plenty of wires for the loop, pedals, tuner sitting on my amps and 2 spares JIC.
Bob did you also put your pedal power through the snake cable?
Tom

FunkyE9th

Post by FunkyE9th »

Another possible option is to just use one of those corrugated cable organizers. You can add/subtract cables as needed. If something breaks it's easy to replace.

Plus it allows you to use whatever "boutique" cable you like. :)
Structo

Post by Structo »

I'm not familiar with that.

Can you post an example?
Tom

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Give yourself an extra line just incase it's a bitch to have a line drop during a gig and not be able to fix it fast.

I have two views having just put a giant pain in my ass pedal board together for a friend.

It's neat and contained if it's all one run! But how thick? How do you service it if you pinch it? Is it really long enough?

Don't go cheap to save a couple bucks when it'll bite you later.

The pro to individual runs it's easy to adapt
down side more cable to run

concider individual cable runs bundled together giving you the best of both
one snake and the ability to service each as it's own.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Structo

Post by Structo »

OK, I have used that type of wire loom material before in a car stereo and on my home theater wiring to make everything neater but not so sure how well that would work for 20ft runs of cable.

Yes, my other concern was how good is the cable used in the pre-made snakes.
I realized how much of an improvement I achieved when I went to higher end guitar cables with the clarity and top end I didn't know I was missing.
That was what I was wondering about using the snake cable.
What the specs are capacitance wise and impedance.

I looked at some Canare and Gepco cables and they seemed to be fairly low in capacitance.

I do see the advantage of using high end cables to make a bundle with them.
But that would be very expensive.

I'm not currently playing out so this is just something to mess around with right now.

If I was to use the individual high end cables I would have to buy at least three 20 ft cables to where right now I have two high end Sommer cables for guitar to tuner and from tuner to amp.
Then I have a couple cables that are cheaper running to and from the FX loop.

Hmmm, all it takes is money......
Tom

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Yes it does just money the real trick isn't how cheap you can get it but if you can get away with only buying it once :)

Canare quad star is good
mogami and beldon or best
gapco hosa Rapco ... Work ....
Monster cable... Crap and for the price buy beldon
George L's nice patch cable a bit pricey but great on tight spaces!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
tooold

Post by tooold »

Structo wrote: Yes, my other concern was how good is the cable used in the pre-made snakes.
I realized how much of an improvement I achieved when I went to higher end guitar cables with the clarity and top end I didn't know I was missing.
That was what I was wondering about using the snake cable.
What the specs are capacitance wise and impedance.

I looked at some Canare and Gepco cables and they seemed to be fairly low in capacitance.
Structo, I wired my studio with multi-core AES/EBU cable. Very low capacitance, high quality cable, rated for digital but great for analog. Because it has to conform to the standard, it's a good way to know what you're getting regardless of the manufacturer. It's also not very big in diameter, and is available with a flexible jacket.

http://www.mylescochran.com