Inexpensive Electrolytic Capacitors

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bancika

Re: Inexpensive Electrolytic Capacitors

Post by bancika »

ChrisM wrote: I spoke too soon.

Inside that 500V 20mF cap was a Samsung 400V 22mF cap. Had the leads cut very short than had this much thicker wire soldered on to it. Made it appear from the outer cap that the leads were very robust. When in fact the leads were actually quite thin and wimpy.
They probably didn't cut the leads short but pulled the cap from an old PCB. That's more cost effective :)
azatplayer

Post by azatplayer »

I was looking at Farnell this morning for caps, and some of the Vishay BC had a 50% over tolerance! While also having a 10% under tolerance. These were 10uf caps i was looking at, so 10 to 15 uf is a big jump. At least they state that fact!
bigbeck

Post by bigbeck »

I have a couple of 40uf 500V Weber branded caps that I bough a few weeks ago. They have short leads and rubber plugs in both ends. These are not on the Weber list of foul caps.

But I'm still suspicious because of the dual rubber plugs. I've used a few different off branded cheap caps and they all had the negative lead soldered to the housing. Has anyone taken this model apart?

Maybe it's a good idea to start using radial caps?
When all is said and done, More is said than done.....
breakfastbuddy

caps

Post by breakfastbuddy »

caps for pcb is more common and made in higher demand , so pcb caps will be cheaper and less prone to fault . and crocks makes less if they try to fake them .
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

bigbeck wrote:I have a couple of 40uf 500V Weber branded caps that I bough a few weeks ago. They have short leads and rubber plugs in both ends. These are not on the Weber list of foul caps.

But I'm still suspicious because of the dual rubber plugs. I've used a few different off branded cheap caps and they all had the negative lead soldered to the housing. Has anyone taken this model apart?

Maybe it's a good idea to start using radial caps?
Contrare...some of those I found were indeed Weber labeled.
47uf/450V.
The TUNG branded from Weber are fine, the ELON were not.
The Rubycons were also OK.

I cut open some otherwise perfectly good caps looking but the telltale signs turned out to be either crimped on two ends or two plastic ends (or both).
All of the ones that had a standard crimped aluminum negative end were good.

And tolerances within 10%.

(Screwed up thing is...the fakes I have installed are running good and noiseless...only time will tell on those).
drz400

Post by drz400 »

krash wrote: I also don't mind using Xicon resistors. .
Soldano and many other manufacturers had major failures with Xicon 1/2W MF 100K resistors.
bigbeck

Post by bigbeck »

Cygnus X1 wrote:
47uf/450V.
But the caps I have are 40uf 500V and branded as "Weber Cap Can CD10",which is not on the "defective" list. It's also crimped on both ends with plastic plugs on both ends. :? I've never seen such construction - except on non-polorized electrolytics. I measured two of them and they're 40.2uf and 41.3uf.
When all is said and done, More is said than done.....
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

bigbeck wrote:
Cygnus X1 wrote:
47uf/450V.
But the caps I have are 40uf 500V and branded as "Weber Cap Can CD10",which is not on the "defective" list. It's also crimped on both ends with plastic plugs on both ends. :? I've never seen such construction - except on non-polorized electrolytics. I measured two of them and they're 40.2uf and 41.3uf.
You can contact TA Weber, I'm not surprised.
They have isolated the bad ones but may not have listed every piece.

It falls within the description of what I, and the tech at Weber VST found.
They were screwed along with the rest of us.
Mine test in spec as well, but I have not "stress tested" them for maximum voltages.
Badside

Post by Badside »

jelle wrote:BTW, other caps have small innards too. Apparently these caps expand when they heat up.
It seems to me that this expansion would affect their capacitance...
Meaning they could lose some at high-temperature. Not good

(I hate amps that don't sound the same during the 2nd set. Back when I had a JCM2000, I would turn it off during the break because it drifted like crazy as it got hotter. My clones don't do that)
Amplifiers built:
Marshall 2204 head with some mods
Low-power 2204 (cathode biased 6V6s)
Single-knob dual-6K6GT amps using a Wattkins uPCB
AC30 clone with Plexified preamp section
AX84 Firefly
azatplayer

Post by azatplayer »

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/sear ... &R=2267312

I just bought some of these to try. The spec is pretty high and the price is about what we pay for F&T here in Aus. Some values are less actually.

Did a little research and seems the audiofools love em. Look pretty too ;)