Can you help me out? Amp down.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Paul86

Can you help me out? Amp down.

Post by Paul86 »

Hello everyone,
Just the other day I was playing my Bloodhound and it went dead on me. I've been depressed ever since. I took it to a local tech and he told me the PT is blown, but I have my doubts. (Just to clarify, I'm definitely a non-tech kind of guy). When it went down there was a burning smell, but I looked inside the chassis and nothing seems burnt. I tried new fuses, but they keep blowing as soon as I switch main power on.
For the record, I use the amp with a Marshall PB, can the PB be the culprit?
The amp is solid-state rectified, has three 12AX7 pre-amp tubes and runs two 6550 on the power section.
Any help will be really appreciated.
Bob-I

Re: Can you help me out? Amp down.

Post by Bob-I »

Paul86 wrote:Hello everyone,
Just the other day I was playing my Bloodhound and it went dead on me. I've been depressed ever since. I took it to a local tech and he told me the PT is blown, but I have my doubts. (Just to clarify, I'm definitely a non-tech kind of guy). When it went down there was a burning smell, but I looked inside the chassis and nothing seems burnt. I tried new fuses, but they keep blowing as soon as I switch main power on.
For the record, I use the amp with a Marshall PB, can the PB be the culprit?
The amp is solid-state rectified, has three 12AX7 pre-amp tubes and runs two 6550 on the power section.
Any help will be really appreciated.
It's likely that the tech is right.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

It's my undestanding that the Power Brake is not the best choice for an attenuator. Even Marshall dealers caution against its use in Marshall amps!

That burning smell was likely your OT morphing into a paper weight.

My advice (keeping in mind that I do work for the government....) is that when you buy your replacement iron, say from Mercury Magnetics, ask them for advice on attenuators, particularly if the use of one voids the tranny's warrantee.

Best of luck,
Gordo
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

If you ain't a tech, then become a tech. If you can't become a tech, then rely on your tech. Seems reasonable to me. Shorted filter caps will do precisely the same thing that you describe but usually rather spectacularly. In the smoke department. If you can smarten up enough to cut the power tranny loose from the filter network so that it's got nothing on the secondary side. A blown fuse then would positively identify a dead tranny.

Good luck
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.