Got an idea for a soldering iron product

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Omar

Got an idea for a soldering iron product

Post by Omar »

So I was working on the underside of the circuit board in one of my amps, trying to solder wires to the bottom of turrets, trying not to bump any of the wires with the soldering iron, when I came up with an idea. Why does the whole barrel of the soldering iron have to be hot enough to melt wire and components? Why not have a sheath made of a material that doesn't get too hot (ceramic) with holes to dissipate the heat that covers the barrel? Has anyone invented something like this? Hopefully not so I can retire off of my invention! :D

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Bob-I

Re: Got an idea for a soldering iron product

Post by Bob-I »

Omar wrote:So I was working on the underside of the circuit board in one of my amps, trying to solder wires to the bottom of turrets, trying not to bump any of the wires with the soldering iron, when I came up with an idea. Why does the whole barrel of the soldering iron have to be hot enough to melt wire and components? Why not have a sheath made of a material that doesn't get too hot (ceramic) with holes to dissipate the heat that covers the barrel? Has anyone invented something like this? Hopefully not so I can retire off of my invention! :D

Omar
Good idea... I think I'll copyrite it. :lol:

Actually in the 60's I had an iron that had a ceramic jacket. It still got hot enough to melt wires so I gave up on it. Teflon wire is the best option if you can't avoid burning PVC.
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

try placing aluminum foil (temporarily--don't forget to take it out!) over wires nearby which you think could be melted if touched accidentally. (Someone over at the plexi palace board had this nice idea.) Also you can try tying them out of the way temporarily with those things with a piece of wire and insulation used for securing the end of food packages (twisties? tie wrap?).
Omar

Post by Omar »

Bob-I - I usually use teflon b/c of my clumsiness but this build happens to use PVC.

Dai - That's a pretty cool tip. Thanks!

But the Soldering Iron Sheath (patent pending :wink: ) would also prevent those embarrassing mistakes of melting non-heat resistant components such as capacitors, resistors, plastic switches, fuse holders, and/or small children. Great for soldering when drunk or under the influence of legal/illeagal substances. <end of commerical>

Omar
Tone by misadventure