Paralell yet asymetrical triodes?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rfgordon

Paralell yet asymetrical triodes?

Post by rfgordon »

Evenin' y'all,
My build continues to be lots of fun to mess with and play. People marvel at how "huge" the clean is out of this thing (Lightning w/ 6l6 duet Cat. Bias into a T Tubby ceramic.) Very nice.

Since this design (like some other Matchless/Star and Mohaves) uses both sides of V1 in parallel, it's got me thinking (not always a good thing, mind you)--what if you ran them in paralell yet used separate and different cathode resistors, cath. bypass caps and coupling caps? I've long been a fan of dual amp setups, but could you accomplish something similar here? Maybe brown one side down with a low voltage while the other side is cleaner?

Anybody tried this? If you guys are way ahead of me on this (and it sounds poopy) please let me know and save me the time & solder.

Thanks,
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
Bear

Re: Paralell yet asymetrical triodes?

Post by Bear »

Sounds like bridging channels on an old 4 input Marshall or two-channel Tweed. You can look at Hiwatts, too, for ideas on values to mess with.

I was thinking about the same thing with the Lightning lately. It occurs that a cool way to implement it would be some sort of shunt switching arrangement where you can select either side separately or both bridged. I'd suggest subtle variation, though, if going with a switching scheme - a lot of owners of those old amps say you need to bridge for the best tone balance.

Bear