1" centers for 24mm pots?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

krash

1" centers for 24mm pots?

Post by krash »

Hey folks-

Can I get away with drilling 1" center-center mounting for 24mm Alpha pots in an amp chassis?

My measurements say "yes" but just wanted to check with the smart people first. Anyone done 1" centers with 24mm pots? In theory, I should have 1.4mm of clearance between pots :) According to my ruler, they are really a hair smaller than 24mm so as long as I can drill in the right place I should be in good shape... ??
loverocker

Re: 1" centers for 24mm pots?

Post by loverocker »

Maybe try it on a bit of scrap aluminium or thick cardboard first? Might have to be very precise on starting the hole.

The other complication is knobs, and ease of twiddling 'em.
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
krash

Post by krash »

no problem there, I have knobs that are less than 3/4" diameter so they should fit just fine.

I guess I'll just have to try it. On paper it looks right, and in fact that little graphic on the upper LH corner that says "the amp garage" appears to have 24mm pots on approx 1" centers :)
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

why not get the alpha 16mm pots and it won;t ever be a problem? plus, the 16mm have a longer shaft, that works better with most knobs.

but, yes, should fit.

germ
krash

Post by krash »

well the reason to not use 16mm pots is the (perhaps misguided) perception that "miniature" pots are lower-quality ... and yes I will be building amps to sell :) so perception that it is "high quality" is as important as function.

ideally my front panel lays out best with 1" centers so I was just trying to get as close to 1" as I could.
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

krash wrote:well the reason to not use 16mm pots is the (perhaps misguided) perception that "miniature" pots are lower-quality ... and yes I will be building amps to sell :) so perception that it is "high quality" is as important as function.

ideally my front panel lays out best with 1" centers so I was just trying to get as close to 1" as I could.
i hear ya, but if you are using alpha........ :D

same quality as the 24mm. i use the 16mm exclusively. work great for just about anything i can think up. i sell, too.

germ
ACDCG400

Post by ACDCG400 »

sorry to bring back an old thread, but the 16mm pots are ok for amp use?
overtone

Post by overtone »

ACDCG400 wrote:sorry to bring back an old thread, but the 16mm pots are ok for amp use?
Depends on their application really, one cannot give you a blanket answer. Best thing is to look at their specs WRT your intentions.
Below is what I found quickly, but consult the data sheets for the ones you are looking at - there can be variations even from the same manufacturer,
best, tony

Alpha 16mm Solder lugs
Power Rating: 0,125 W log / 0,2 W linear
Voltage Rating: 150 V DC Audio / 200 V DC linear

Alpha 24mm Solder lugs
Power Rating: 0,25 W log / 0,5 W linear
Voltage Rating: 250 V DC Audio / 500 V DC linear 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

One has to carefully consider what, if any, changes might possibly be made to the knobs down the road.
There's nothing worse than chickenhead beaks bumping into each other.

I say this only because chickenheads seems to be the rage lately.

rd
Structo

Post by Structo »

Sounds like to me you need to use a longer chassis.

I hate it when the knobs are tight against each other, makes tweaking them more difficult.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

IMO, fitting a 24mm pot on 1" centers is going to be very difficult. 1" = 25.4mm. That means only 1.4mm between pots. Any small misalignment of the hole will be cause to scrap the chassis. Even if the pot still fits, it will look all wrong. You'd be surprised what the eye can detect.

Also, as others have pointed out, it's impractical. Even with small knobs, they will be too close together. It might not bother someone like me, as I've got small hands and skinny fingers. You won't even need to be ham-handed to find the knobs uncomfortably close.

I wouldn'tt do it.
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

Knob spacing on a VibroChamp looks tight to me.
They are at 1.25".

rd