Can I mount preamp tubes horizontally?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

2thick4uni

Can I mount preamp tubes horizontally?

Post by 2thick4uni »

I'm building a small 1watt practice amp consisting of 1 x ecc81, 1 x ecc 82 and 1 x 6SN7 tubes as per this schematic:- http://myweb.absa.co.za/g.landry/uTube2.htm

I was goung to add a load resistor and line out so that I can use it as a footpedal too and in order to build it into a small enclosure it would be useful if I could mount all of the tubes horizontally, I know this is not recommended for power tubes, but will it be ok for these three preamp type tubes?

Allan
loverocker

Re: Can I mount preamp tubes horizontally?

Post by loverocker »

Yup - you'll be fine. Most 1u and 2u rackmount pre and powr amps have horizontal valves without trouble.

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that one before, and I've been rounding up bits for a Firefly amp, so this is something else to think about. :)
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
2thick4uni

Post by 2thick4uni »

Thanks for the help Loverocker, good to know my proposed layout should work OK; nothing stopping me now :)

Looks like a cool little amp, these things can sound great through a 4 x 12, I've already built a Torres Tinytone Marshall and a 5E1 champ, funnily enough a firefly was next on my list....

If you do want to build this amp then Hammond 125A should work great for OT, BTW I'm in UK too (well, Isle of Man but lets not split hairs :lol: ) and I think cheapest place for this is www.musikding.de ; he has a 230v ht / 6v3 PT for euro 20 that should work fine too, but may need a resistor in ht to bring volatage down to 300v.

So many amps to build and so little time :?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You can mount power tubes horizontally as a rule. They may need to be aligned in a particular direction so that the posts are aligned one above the other. The full data sheet will usually give you that information.

The 6AQ5 sheet says "Mounting Position - Any".
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

MarkB wrote:You can mount power tubes horizontally as a rule. They may need to be aligned in a particular direction so that the posts are aligned one above the other. The full data sheet will usually give you that information.

The 6AQ5 sheet says "Mounting Position - Any".
yes. most of the larger power tubes will want the screens up and down, to prevent sag and touching of the screen to something it isnt supposed to.

germ