Hiwatt CS-30

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

andrew

Hiwatt CS-30

Post by andrew »

Hi, I once had a Sterling Imports Hiwatt 4-EL84 30 watt Lead combo that sounded great but I traded it off for something I can't even remember. Is there a schematic floating around out there? Thanks.
Structo

Re: Hiwatt CS-30

Post by Structo »

Do you remember the model number?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
D-Day

Post by D-Day »

See thread title :wink:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah ok :oops:

I was looking at Schematic Heaven and didn't see anything like that.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
andrew

Post by andrew »

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Have you seen this discussion about the Lead 30:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... =3&t=89207

On page two there is a schematic for the Custom 20. The Lead 30 may be similar but with another pair of EL84s. I noticed the combo on Mark's site had reverb, though.

I think this is the amp referenced in the discussion:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/ ... Lead%2030/

The head doesn't have reverb (more like the Custom 20 schem).
"The blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits." - Willie Dixon
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

I still haven't finished tracing out the Hiwatt Lead 30 circuit and drawing it up.
Some local people offered me $$$$ to build a couple of different amps and so my very limited bench time has been taken up.
I hope to get a Lead 30 schematic done before long..............gldtp99
andrew

Post by andrew »

My combo had reverb also but it wasn't very good.It had pretty cleans and on full tilt had some thick distortion. Fun for sure.
Decko

schematic

Post by Decko »

Hi there,

Any luck on the schematic for the lead 30?
I just bought one but before I crack the case I wanted to see what you came up with.

Thanks,
Danny
passfan

Post by passfan »

Sorry to dig this back up but one of you would be doing a great service to the amp community by tracing out this circuit and publishing it here. I had one of these for years before I started rolling my own and have never come across that sound again. I hate to beg but I would love to put one of these together.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

Yeah---- i've been swamped and have to ration my very little bench time---- lately had an emergency rebuild of a toasted '66 Bassman AB165---and amps i have promised to build are way behind schedule--- some as much as six months---my people want their amps.
My Hiwatt Lead 30 head is currently loaned out for recording purposes.
I'll get to it when i can---- this next year my regular job's overtime schedule is supposed to lighten up somewhat so i'll have a bit more bench time. 2010 was an absolutely brutal work schedule--- i hope 2011 leaves me at least a decent amount of time for amp projects.
I can't be the only one with an amp of this model, can I ?.................gldtp99
passfan

Post by passfan »

gldtp99 wrote: My Hiwatt Lead 30 head is currently loaned out for recording purposes.
I can certainly understand that. I picked up a circuit from your thread at vintage amps that had what appeared to be an older lead series schematic in it. I was wondering if you'd seen it and if it matched what you'd seen so far ? The poster labled it a custom 20 yet the control layout doesn't match the custom 20 that Fernandez is selling. I may try to piece this thing together just to see if I can recreate the sound.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

After reading a few posts over at the Vintage Amp Page and doing some investigating I've concluded that even though this schematic is labled Custom 20 it is in fact a Lead 20 schematic. The original poster over at TVAP refers to it as model CS-20 which is the old Modesto Hiwatt number for it's Lead series from the early 80's. It matches (control and output wise) the Lead series amplifiers to a T and matches nothing Else at Hiwatt UK or Fernandez U.S. It also would appear that Hiwatt UK is manufacturing this circuit now as well. It is the Stage/ Studio series and utilizes the EL84 quad output in some sort of class A configuration. There are some you tube demo's under the name Maxwatt and it sounds hauntingly like my old lead 30. I am prototyping this circuit now and the only difference I can see between the 20 and the 30 is the number of output tubes. I will post back on my findings when I fire it up.

Well the schematic doesn't load up clear enough so here is a link to the thread it's in. The schematic is at the top of page 2 of the thread.

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... =3&t=89207
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

If you need the schematic for the studio stage i have it.