Give me a reason why this shouldn't be done

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

iknowjohnny

Give me a reason why this shouldn't be done

Post by iknowjohnny »

actually, it's not that i'm looking for a reason, but i'm trying to understand why i don't seem to see this done in other schematics, yet it worked great for me. What i'm talking about is a voltage divider right before the gain pot in a JCM style amp. I had split load plates on V1A and B but i wanted get rid of that and reduce gain a different way because it seems to be better for tone w/o the split loads. So figuring i don't like the tone when the gain is turned down much i thought why not reduce it before the pot with a voltage divider. Yes, i do realize a gain pot IS a VD too, but the thing is that it's variable and no value of cap seems to allow me to turn down more than about 1/3 of the way and retain exactly what i like about the tone when it's up. So to get less gain overall w/o using split loads i figured i could use a VD there w/o a bleed cap and the loss of highs would also help, and i could get it back using caps elsewhere if i need it, which works better than trying to remove highs with snubbers and such. the net result was that i'm able to shape the tone the way i want w/o having to compromise it by having to also be concerned with too much gain resulting from various tone shaping tweaks. This worked really well, but i'm curious why others don't seem to do this. If i simply use a VD elsewhere it doesn't seem to work as well. it seems like limiting the gain available to the gain pot somehow works better, so i though maybe someone can enlighten me to the theory behind it that is beyond me. Or is there a reason others don't do it like this?