Schematic drawing program

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Normster

Schematic drawing program

Post by Normster »

I was just cruising 18watt and saw a thread for a pretty cool schematic drawing program called "DesignWorksLite." http://www.capilano.com/index.html

I downloaded the demo and I'm impressed! Unlike some of the others that I've tried, this one actually has TUBE libraries! I haven't had a chance to really do anything with it yet, but with a 30-day demo and only $40 to purchase, it's certainly worth looking in to. They also have a pro version that does simulations, etc., but at $495 I'd have to be an engineer to justify the cost.

I'll probably stick with Visio, but I've seen a lot of threads asking for schematic programs so I thought I'd pass this along.
MarkB

Re: Schematic drawing program

Post by MarkB »

circuitmaker has a free student version. I don't have the link handy, but it should be easy to find, and it does have tube graphics.
jackson649

program for layouts

Post by jackson649 »

Hi Normster, this probably doesn't have anything to do with program you are discussing but I've been looking at some of your layouts that you have posted and I am impressed, they are very neat and clear.

I too would like to draw up a layout so I could use it for my future build and to also be able to post on this forum so people could make some suggestions for tweaks and troubleshooting.

So what I'm asking it, what program did you use to draw these up? Is it availible for download? Thanks
jackson649

program for layouts

Post by jackson649 »

Anyone?
loverocker

Post by loverocker »

Well, you can use any paint or photo editing program, and just cut and paste it together from basic building blocks (resistor symbols, caps, etc). That's how I do mine (e.g. http://www.ampmaker.com/pp18guide/pp18sc2.jpg)

These low tech programs demand a bit more fiddling than a dedicated schematics program, but it's not too bad. :) Far preferable to those schematics programs that try to lend a hand but just get in the way. :roll: Maybe they've got better recently?
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
Normster

Re: program for layouts

Post by Normster »

jackson649 wrote:Hi Normster, this probably doesn't have anything to do with program you are discussing but I've been looking at some of your layouts that you have posted and I am impressed, they are very neat and clear.

I too would like to draw up a layout so I could use it for my future build and to also be able to post on this forum so people could make some suggestions for tweaks and troubleshooting.

So what I'm asking it, what program did you use to draw these up? Is it availible for download? Thanks
As Loverocker said, MS Paint actually does a pretty fair job if you're patient. I've been using Visio for many years so it was natural for me to use it for layouts. However, it is a bit pricey and has a fairly steep learning curve. (Until you get the hang of it, it seems to fight you every step of the way. :wink: )
jackson649

program for layouts

Post by jackson649 »

Thanks guys, didn't know people were using ms paint to do these layouts, thought there was a program that has templates for resistors and caps to do these layouts.
Tube_S_Cream

Post by Tube_S_Cream »

What about E.A.G.L.E. ?

Full name is Easy Applicable Graphic Layout Editor.
A freeware (limited to one page) is available at www.cadsoft.de
Lots of special libraries are available there in the customer section (e.g. vacuum tubes, special caps and resistors etc.

The schematic editor is very comfortable and it is a real PCB Layout tool, not only a drawing program.
The freeware-tool is limited to PCBs 80 x 100mm... but who's using PCBs in valve amps (except for some rectifier stuff :) )

EAGLE is available in english and german for Windows98 an up and LINUX.

Grrets Tube_S_Cream
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

LTSpice!

The schematic editor is very intuitive, and the SPICE capabilities are great. It comes with symbols for tubes, and it works with SPICE and PSPICE models.

It's free, and there's a great group on Yahoo with an active user community.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I just downloaded Tinycad, but I haven't tried it yet. The price is right. :D
d95err

Post by d95err »

MarkB wrote:I just downloaded Tinycad, but I haven't tried it yet. The price is right. :D
TinyCAD is quite easy to work with. One annoying thing though - it doesn't have switching jacks in the library.

EAGLE is hopeless to work with, IMHO. You have to specify the exact component specs in the schematic. For example, a "1/4W 100k resistor mounted with 7.5mm holes" is one component. If you want to mount it with 10mm between the legs, you have to replace the whole component. This is very awkward when you want to design a PCB. You even have to draw jumpers into the schematic, with exact specification on their length...
drz400

Post by drz400 »

d95err wrote:
MarkB wrote:I just downloaded Tinycad, but I haven't tried it yet. The price is right. :D
TinyCAD is quite easy to work with. One annoying thing though - it doesn't have switching jacks in the library.

EAGLE is hopeless to work with, IMHO. You have to specify the exact component specs in the schematic. For example, a "1/4W 100k resistor mounted with 7.5mm holes" is one component. If you want to mount it with 10mm between the legs, you have to replace the whole component. This is very awkward when you want to design a PCB. You even have to draw jumpers into the schematic, with exact specification on their length...
Eagle is great, you just need to build your libraries !
You are not correct on these statements.....
You create a part of your own with multiple footprints, that way you can change the package anytime you want in the schematic or the board layout without changing the part, you only change the package. I use 1 resistor, 1 cap and 1 polarized cap for all the footprints, I have 20 or so footprints for each.

I dont know what you are talking about with jumpers, you use "net" to connect part pins not "wire" this is the only correct way, nets stay connected to the part pins

Designworks is also great for schematics but is not a complete package like Eagle is. Eagle is the shit. eagle is much easier and more intuative than any other PCB/layout program I have tried, protel, douglas etc, just like any other package it takes some time to learn but for the money it really cant be beat. You can also get Eagle tools which imports DXF so you can bring your CAD right into the PCB. I use Eagle all the time for laying out turret and eyelet boards.
Last edited by drz400 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

drz400 wrote: I sue Eagle all the time for laying out turret and eyelet boards.
I too have Eagle in high regard but I don't sue them :D :twisted:
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
blinddog

Post by blinddog »

Hello been reading this site for awhile now working up courage and funds to dive into a build.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help to newbies.

Along the way I have found something interesting that might be what so of you are looking for.. Google sketch is a 3-D rendering program. Free and it reminds me alot of a Microsoft product Norm uses. My fear is the learning curve, but a little time invested peaks my interest.

Good Luck

http://sketchup.google.com/

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... tnG=Search

Someone named flathead had modeled so amps. It looks like jsut exterior and everything normally seen from casual inspection. The possibilty of 3-D inside circuit design seems very interesting though.

The key seems to be in using the camera/standard/back view. Using this you can zoom around the back and see the 12ax7’s the EL 34’s and the Transformers.

This looks to me like a 3-D Visio. Not sure if transposing the existing templates would be a problem though?
drz400

Post by drz400 »

With a program like Eagle you can export your board to DXF and turn it into 3D with Rhino3D.

Or if you want to do it the pro way, use Solidworks and circuitworks but we are way past hobby stuff