Post by heisthl »

Remind me to never get on Mr Aiken's bad side:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=729366
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
paulster

Re: Hilarious Thread on TGP

Post by paulster »

I don't know how Randall has the patience to put up with all that BS and still bother to explain things at great length in idiot-proof language for the fifth or sixth time!
eri77

Post by eri77 »

got to page three , my head hurt
nickm57

Post by nickm57 »

And lastly, you are still afraid to give your name and have to hide behind a screen name like a 12-year old kid on his mom's computer. I'm sorry, but you are not a worthy opponent in the arena of ideas.
ha
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

The 'Golden Ears' response was priceless (no offense, dogears!):
Now the laws of "golden ears" are a bit more complex. Here they are, at least as far as I have been able to ascertain:

(1) "You are not allowed to make any mention of golden ears until you are losing an argument and have no way to save face."

(2) "He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears." The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument. Now, everyone else on the board may have golden ears, but only if they choose not to perform the test in question that may disprove the theory. These people may be brought up as often as possible, until that point where they actually perform said test and obtain results not in accordance with the original golden-eared proponent's position.

(3) "Golden ears can only exist on a person who has no formal education in the subject matter." The minute a person receives an engineering degree, his ears automatically turn to tin, and he cannot be trusted with even the simplest test of tone or frequency response, no matter how long he or she has been in the field of interest.

(4) "Once you have proclaimed golden-ear status, you can no longer answer any questions, nor put forth anything of a technical nature, because you may slip up and show that you really have no clue as to what you are talking about." At this point, your golden ears have become tarnished, and everyone will see the emperor has no clothes, so this situation should be avoided at all costs. Should this happen, you have no choice but to either slink away and hope nobody notices and soon forgets about you, or loudly proclaim victory in the vain hope that someone will believe you.

I'm sure there are more rules, I'll post them as I learn them.

Randall Aiken
Of course, I don't use my real name as my screen name, so disregard any assertions of fact as folderol...
"The blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits." - Willie Dixon
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah, I read that whole thread yesterday along with the other one where they sparred.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, sort of like driving by a bad accident.
You don't want to look but you can't help yourself. :D
Last edited by Structo on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Dano

Post by Dano »

Now, I have shown, TWICE that theory and "real world" agree. "Book knowledge" and "real world" are only different if you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. To the natives of a remote tribe that has never seen a camera, radio, or television, each of these things would appear to be "magic", just as these concepts do to you.
Almost spit my coffee out when I read this. The guy keeps coming back for more though.

Glutton for punishment
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I was laughing as I read through this one.

I guess I better quit using hardware store 16 ga stranded black and white that I twist together for speaker wire, huh.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Tried to read this, but gave in after a few pages......
Just for comparison, a cable thread on another HiFI related forum I frequent is a mere 100 posts away from 15.000 posts! :shock:

I don't know exactly how the saying goes in english, but
"Even 10 wise men can ever convince a fool...." :lol:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Aurora wrote:Tried to read this, but gave in after a few pages......
Just for comparison, a cable thread on another HiFI related forum I frequent is a mere 100 posts away from 15.000 posts! :shock:

I don't know exactly how the saying goes in english, but
"Even 10 wise men can never convince a fool...." :lol:
I think that is it.

That's why they are called audiophools. :D
Tom

Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Speakin' of fools,-- don't remember where I saw this one ( maybe even here???), It does raise some thoughts, though..

" If you are going to argue with a fool , - make sure he is not doing the same....." :wink:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Good one! :D

Or when you point at somebody, you have three fingers pointing back at yourself. :lol:
Tom

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr »

Thanks for the link ... that was extremely funny!

Mr. Aiken was priceless.
Playing an instrument doesn't make you a musician, listening does.
mad_dog

Post by mad_dog »

I had a good laugh at some of the comments throughout that thread. I can't believe how long it went on for though.

I'm glad I haven't seen too many threads like that here though
flood

Post by flood »

wow, this is hilarious. i don't think i'd have had the patience to feed the troll though.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.