Watts Audio

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Watts Audio

Post by Structo »

Have any of you done any business with Ken Watts lately at Watts Audio?
I placed an order last week and the only thing I got back was the paypal confirmation of payment.
I have emailed Ken with no results.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
KellyBass

Re: Watts Audio

Post by KellyBass »

Tom,

I bought a chassis, tube sockets, eyelets, etc. about three weeks ago. It took about 8 business days to receive my stuff. A little slow, but it was all there and in great order. Best of luck!
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Thanks Kelly.
I'm not worried yet as I know Ken has a good reputation.
I'm just used to more communication after the purchase. :wink:
Tom

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I just received my shipments but Tom it was slower than usual I have to admit that.

Ken has always been good to reply though, not sure what is going on. Time to give him a call perhaps.

Mark
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

WOW! I've never known Ken to be that slow. I usually get my stuff in a 3 to 4 days. He must be pretty busy or perhaps a family emergency.
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Drumslinger wrote:WOW! I've never known Ken to be that slow. I usually get my stuff in a 3 to 4 days. He must be pretty busy or perhaps a family emergency.
Exactly! I love buying stuff from Ken. Maybe just business growing pains...I hope so, he's a great supplier.
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I spoke with him on the phone last week.
He sounded really busy, but very nice.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ken expanded once maybe he might need to expand again. :D

I like his business and what he provides so I continue shopping there even though I have had to wait for quite a while on some orders and back order items.

Got a problem call him he will straighten it out. :)

Mark
PlinytheWelder

Post by PlinytheWelder »

I'll bet with MetroAmp not selling parts that he picked up some of the slack. He sure sells good stuff, my express is filled with goodies from there including the turret boards...
Gary
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

:shock: Woah!!! His capacitors are expensive!!!

I needed to restock on the basic 25mfd@50v Sprague Atoms, so after seeing this post I reminded me so I went to Watts website. I have to say I'm in stock he is even in business, nice guy or not, his prices are higher then the MSRP. The 25mfd@50v were almost $3.00 each - seriously? they are $1.50 at Antique Electronics and I thought they were pricey.

I can see using Watts for a few select rare items but over all, I can't see it making sense.

I guess my question is why are you guys ordering from him?
Structo

Post by Structo »

I decided to order my Garolite boards from him this time.
While I was there I ordered a few other things to make the shipping charges worth it.

It reassuring that he is good to deal with but I really hate it when you don't get any communication back from somebody.
But, he may be the type that gets a lot of email and is not diligent about replying.
He may prefer the telephone so come Monday I will place a call to him.
Tom

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Sounds good I can tell you aren't comfortable pick up the phone it only take a couple minutes. I'm sure a customer's order is important to Watts and if there is a hang up it's better to fix it early then let it drag out for weeks while you wait in wonder.
I'm sure it'll all be good! just call :wink:
passfan

Post by passfan »

The one time I bought from him it took him 3 business days to ship it . I waited 5 days and he's 50 miles away. I haven't been back.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

selloutrr wrote::shock: Woah!!! His capacitors are expensive!!!

I needed to restock on the basic 25mfd@50v Sprague Atoms, so after seeing this post I reminded me so I went to Watts website. I have to say I'm in stock he is even in business, nice guy or not, his prices are higher then the MSRP. The 25mfd@50v were almost $3.00 each - seriously? they are $1.50 at Antique Electronics and I thought they were pricey.

I can see using Watts for a few select rare items but over all, I can't see it making sense.

I guess my question is why are you guys ordering from him?
Y'all don't know what overpriced caps are until you've shopped at the electronics store by my place! $2.79 for a 500pf mica? Electrolytics are untouchable.

Kinda hard to fault Watt's markup when you consider the time wasted packing small orders for minimal profit. Just ask George at Metroamp.

Want cheap? Call Mouser/Allied/Newark!

Yeah, I've also noticed that Watts is getting slow with shipping. I placed my last two orders by phone just to make sure I could get some reassurance on the turnaround time.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

With Watts, sometimes it's fast, sometimes slow. I always order a little ahead with them.