What amp for me?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoeNovice

What amp for me?

Post by JoeNovice »

I'm selling a Mesa Dual Rec. head for $1000. It's a '96 with tube upgrades and is too much power for my needs.

The music I would like to play ranges from jazz to blues to fusion. I currently have a Polytone for the jazz stuff and am considering a low wattage tube amp for the drive sounds.

Is there something that would cover both sounds (clean and dirty) without blowing the neighbors windows out. Something that records well (low noise).

The ideal amp should be a blend of Plexi and Blackface Fender.

My guitars are Ibanez GB10 for jazz, Fender Jazzmaster and Les Paul for more fusion/blues.

Recommendations?????
dogears

Re: What amp for me?

Post by dogears »

Check out Gary Johnson's amps. He can do a 25watt Glaswerks that would cover every base.

He is member Glaswerks on this forum.
JoeNovice

Post by JoeNovice »

Thanks for the reply

I was looking for a more available brand. Something that I could try with my own ears before buying.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Where are you located?
JoeNovice

Post by JoeNovice »

Pittsburgh PA or Charlotte NC

I've played Bogner, Rivera, Dr. Z and the more common major brands.

I thought that an AC30 would work but it's not what I wanted. I really liked a Bogner Shiva. I don't remember the sounds of the Dr.Z or Rivera well enough. It was months or years ago when I played them.

Again.... Fender meets Marshall with a touch of JC120. Something that takes pedals well and is not a "one trick pony."