Post by Deric »

Has anyone tried these?

Thoughts?

8)
Deric®
M Fowler

Re: JJ EL844 ??

Post by M Fowler »

I have used lots of them but I think I could surely find better but I try to use currently available stock rather then searching for NOS or Sarotov? spelling.

I have some 6P14P-EV 7189 (EL84) coming soon to try.
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

I'd be curious to hear how these sound. Supposed to be a refined version of an EL84... Time will tell the tale.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
Bob S

6P14P-EV's

Post by Bob S »

I hope you like them Mark. I put a quad in my Liverpool just to fire it up & debug. They're still in there - and I'm not short of nos & JJ quads.
I'd recommend them to anyone.
Great price too :wink:
Why Aye Man
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Should be fun to here those Russian tubes for the first time guys. :)

JJ Electronic Releases New Tubes! CE Distribution, the primary distributor of JJ Electronic vacuum tubes, is pleased to announce the release of three new JJ tube types. JJ Electronic has been producing premium vacuum tubes in the Slovak Republic for over 16 years. JJ products are known in the industry as th best-sounding and most reliable tubes produced today.

The three new tubes are all very welcome additions to the JJ line: the 6550, 6CA7 and EL844. The JJ 6550 is musical in every sense of the word and will improve the sound of your high-powered bass and guitar amps with punch and clarity. The 6CA7 is a large bottle version fo the classic EL34 that gives a bigger and warmer sound than any EL34 in the market today. It is a substitute for all amps that use EL34s. The last addition to the line has been designed by JJ from scratch, an EL844. A substitute for any EL84, the EL844 has lower gain and a more balanced, dynamic sound.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I have used a set of Valve Art Chinese KT66's that sound fantastic. They remind me of an EL84 but just seem to have more girth and flavor in every direction. From the reports I've found on KT-66's there is not really a bad sounding one in new production... it would be excellent to see another KT-66 from JJ but even more good news to have a modern production EL-84 available. If anybody scores some of these I'd love to hear a report. rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

An old "nobody wants it" EL83 and/or russian 6P1P in EL84 pin configuration. What's to be excited about?
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
Structo

Post by Structo »

Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

An old "nobody wants it" EL83 and/or russian 6P1P in EL84 pin configuration. What's to be excited about?
Aleksander, I don't understand what your saying :)

Mark
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

M Fowler wrote:
Aleksander, I don't understand what your saying :)

Mark
I'm saying that unless the EL84 amp you want to plug them into is on PCB you can just as well get an EL83 or 6P1P for about $2 a piece and rewire the sockets. I don't understand the "sensation" eurotubes are making it to be.
Also, you can't just plug them in in a fixed bias amp without rebiasing. In a standard fixed bias EL84 PP (grid bias ca -12V to -14V) that 844 will be in cut-off. You will get a class B with pretty severe cross over distortion.
Perhaps you could get away In a cathode bias PP without changing Rk but I'm not sure.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
FYL

Post by FYL »

More like the SV83 of yore if i understand correctly.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes I understand now, I do have one amp that is PCB so I need to use 6n2p-EV pre-amp tubes designed for that board but I can use EL84s power tubes chassis mounted version.

I have never used these types of tubes, so new to me and something different to try.

David Root

KT66

Post by David Root »

RJ, on KT66s, the only one I have used is the Shuguang brown base, which sounds great but, they don't like plate voltages much above 450, and (although I had no failures) Lord Valve sez they only last about 6 months in mormal pro use.

But we are stuck with them becuz no-one is making MO Valve/Genalex quality these days that I know of (if there is pleeeze do tell!) and MO Valve/Genalex are virtually unobtainium these days.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

M Fowler wrote: A substitute for any EL84, the EL844 has lower gain and ...
Hmmm,... does that mean they found a use for their EL84 reject pile? I wonder?...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

tubeswell wrote:
M Fowler wrote: A substitute for any EL84, the EL844 has lower gain and ...
Hmmm,... does that mean they found a use for their EL84 reject pile? I wonder?...
:lol: I don't know, but a rather bold statement
known in the industry as th best-sounding and most reliable tubes produced today
Mark