Bass amp project w/ clips (Updated)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

marcoloco961

Bass amp project w/ clips (Updated)

Post by marcoloco961 »

Hey everyone. I have been following the bass amp discussion and have been gaining some good suggestions from it as I have been working on a small 50 watter. I basically wanted to get the tone close to where I wanted it in the pre-amp, prior to building a final version of a higher wattage output. I think I am finally close on my pre-amp section and have decided to go with a 120 Watt final version with a 2-KT120 power section.

I am using a 2 - 6l6gc power section on the clips. They are the top 3 at the soundclick site listed below.

http://www.soundclick.com/trainwrecks

Please excuse the bad recording hiss and sloppy playing, these were done quickly through a SM58 into a cheesy soundcard using Audicity.
Last edited by marcoloco961 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
daydreamer

Re: Bass amp project w/ clips (Updated)

Post by daydreamer »

Cool funk clip man! Nice playing 8) That's a tricky tune to get such good timing on, well done!

The set up you are using seems to favor the Stevie W. tune for overall sound. I can see what you mean about the sound card, it's not giving you much low punch at all. Audacity doesn't help that either, not a great sound engine, always sounds flat to me.

Do you have an old 4 track tape recorder? I 've found it more forgiving to hit tape first then convert it through the sound card, just seems to capture the warmth better. It also doesn't give that digital 'crap out' sound when pushed. You can play with the gain going into the sound card and you can EQ it roughly as well.

(I've got nicer gear now, but have come to appreciate the old 4 track, they really weren't that bad after all, it was just me!)
"Too young to know, too old to listen..."

Suze Demachi- Baby Animals
marcoloco961

Post by marcoloco961 »

daydreamer wrote:Cool funk clip man! Nice playing 8) That's a tricky tune to get such good timing on, well done!

The set up you are using seems to favor the Stevie W. tune for overall sound. I can see what you mean about the sound card, it's not giving you much low punch at all. Audacity doesn't help that either, not a great sound engine, always sounds flat to me.

Do you have an old 4 track tape recorder? I 've found it more forgiving to hit tape first then convert it through the sound card, just seems to capture the warmth better. It also doesn't give that digital 'crap out' sound when pushed. You can play with the gain going into the sound card and you can EQ it roughly as well.

(I've got nicer gear now, but have come to appreciate the old 4 track, they really weren't that bad after all, it was just me!)
Thanks, I appreciate the compliments on the Sir Duke song. I was at a bass forum and someone was asking people for a hard song to learn and someone suggested the Stevie Wonder song "Sir Duke". Three days later I was still cussing that guy for suggesting that one. It was one of those things. Once I read it, and someone said it was a hard one to learn, I had to try it.

I am trying to get a few clips done a little more professionally to give a better idea of the true sound. With Audacity I have to turn the mic gain up to 100% to get a decent signal, and even then it is a little weak. If I kick in the mic boost, then everything it really distorted. The cab is actually putting out almost too much bottom, but the SM 58 only sees 50Hz and above, and according to the spectrum analyzer, it is actually cutting the gain at a little higher freq. then that. Closer to 60 Hz where the signal starts to really fall.

I am dying to try it with a KT-120 P/P Power section. :lol:
daydreamer

Post by daydreamer »

[quoteThe cab is actually putting out almost too much bottom, but the SM 58 only sees 50Hz and above[/quote]

I suspected that, the mid range sounds fine, but rolls off pretty quick. The other option would be to look into a cab sim like http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.c ... -pdi09.htm

I don't know if they are any good for bass, but I've been reading good things about them for 6 stringers. It would at least eliminate the mic and pre-amp. sound card may be ok (I just re-listened to the clip through my studio monitors and it does sound more the mic letting you down) It's probably cheaper than upgrading everything else, and will really isolate the amp from other factors.

Is this amp the one with the 'v' in the woodwork and wine tolex?
"Too young to know, too old to listen..."

Suze Demachi- Baby Animals
marcoloco961

Post by marcoloco961 »

daydreamer wrote:[quoteThe cab is actually putting out almost too much bottom, but the SM 58 only sees 50Hz and above
I suspected that, the mid range sounds fine, but rolls off pretty quick. The other option would be to look into a cab sim like http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.c ... -pdi09.htm

I don't know if they are any good for bass, but I've been reading good things about them for 6 stringers. It would at least eliminate the mic and pre-amp. sound card may be ok (I just re-listened to the clip through my studio monitors and it does sound more the mic letting you down) It's probably cheaper than upgrading everything else, and will really isolate the amp from other factors.

Is this amp the one with the 'v' in the woodwork and wine tolex?
I have a friend who can make me some clips when he gets some free time. I would like to keep a mic in the recording as I want to get a true perspective of what the sound coming from the cab is. I just need a better recording interface and a mic that will pick up the lower frequencies. This was more just a test for me to see how a recording would sound. It doesn't give a completely accurate reproduction of what I hear live, but it was not totally dis-appointing. I just enjoy when the folks here post clips of their projects. I have heard some very fine sounding amps being built by all the TAG members.

Yes to the V cab W/ wine tolex.
marcoloco961

Updated circuit clips 1/8/11

Post by marcoloco961 »

The more I listened to the clips the less I liked them. This amp has literally been apart and back together dozens of times. I was having to agree with Day dreamer on the lack of bottom. I had thought it was just the recording mic, but changes to the circuit proved different. Here are a couple new clips of my hot shot kid kicking my ass all over the fretboard.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

There are couple more new clips at the address in the original post. I did a quick retake of the song "funk" from the first circuit so I could compare the two. The new version is "funk2 blah blah". See if it sounds better to your ears.
harryk

Post by harryk »

:) Hi MarcoI I got good results using 4xKT-120 power tubes in my new Bluetone Ace of Bass Head. It gives some 300 W output power which is enough anywhere you play. I did it to our bass player and his sound improved dramatically with it and a new Markbass 4x10" cab. His sound is now very articulate with lots of bottom without going mushy. Harry
marcoloco961

Post by marcoloco961 »

harryk wrote::) Hi MarcoI I got good results using 4xKT-120 power tubes in my new Bluetone Ace of Bass Head. It gives some 300 W output power which is enough anywhere you play. I did it to our bass player and his sound improved dramatically with it and a new Markbass 4x10" cab. His sound is now very articulate with lots of bottom without going mushy. Harry

Thanks Harry. What brand and model of PT and OT did you go with on the 4 KT120 build? Iron seems to get a little scarce in those wattages. Did you have to have them custom wound?

BTW, I love the Markbass sound, amps and speakers. Do you have any clips of your amp? I would like to hear it.
harryk

Post by harryk »

:) Hi! PT is a toriodial one from here www.tubetown.de It is pretty cheap and works well in this amp. OT is from Italy from www.inmadout.com which is a smaller boutique manufacturer. Their prices are competitive in european level. I am pretty happy with that combination. Unfortunately I do not have any sound clips of that amp. Harry